For which resolution is your skin?

• Total voters

Tgx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I'd like to post a poll to know how widely are still used skins for Hd ready resolutions, so that us skinners could plan the development of new skins.

Thanks

Tgx

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    What should I choose if I use designed for 720p skin (DefaultWide) on 1080p display? :)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    maybe i'm wrong, we have more surface on 1080p, so we can have more information on the same screen.
    like Movie info ...
    true ?

like an prototype of 4K : for have idea about ram/ GPU perf needed !!!

Last edited:

Tgx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    What should I choose if I use designed for 720p skin (DefaultWide) on 1080p display? :)
    The Hd Ready option. I edited the poll question to make it clearer.

Thanks

Tgx

Last edited:

Tgx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    maybe i'm wrong, we have more surface on 1080p, so we can have more information on the same screen.
    like Movie info ...
    true ?

I do not think that more resolution means more info on screen. For me more resolution means more detail in graphics.

Thanks

Tgx

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    More resolution does not mean more surface for more info, but it is useful to get clean crisp detail in images. There is a limit to the reasonable amount of information you can digest at a glance. If you are viewing your screen from arms length you can view more information as long as the screen structure adds enough gaps, spaces and organization to allow the mind to differentiate the information. My experience in trying to lay out reams of information on a 35mm slide for presentation of scientific research screams out in protest when someone suggests using smaller fonts to over-saturate the observer. Less is more.

My favorite design suggestion is to take a 4"x6" index card and hand-print the information in medium width ballpoint pen and hold it at arms length, to determine the amount of information and use of negative/positive design space.

I believe the 2 best skins, currently, that have the most readable designs are aMPed w/font15 and MayaHD. Both have good choices in font sizes and line spacing, and balance in the use of space between elements of information for the greatest number of users.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I registered "Other' above, because my main HTPC is still using an analog, NTSC resolution TV, for me, the only available skin that works best is aMPed True4:3... (sorry Team, Default just doesn't fit my needs), but my client monitor is 1080. We hope to upgrade to HD on the main HTPC by the end of the year (if all goes well). The viewing distance is 3 meters. I have to take into consideration that my Wife's eyes, as well as my own, do not see as clear and crisp as they use too.

I realize I represent the minority.

Last edited:

MadMagpie

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2007
    Home Country
    I use StreamedMP @ 720p, at 720p because my second display in the kitchen won't do 1080p (via HDMI splitter)

Users who are viewing this thread