Solitaire for Media Portal? (1 Viewer)

timx

September 16, 2005
is there such a thing, i found solitaire for media center but this only works on this o.s has anyone modded this for media portal?

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    No, that game plugin hasn't appeared yet. Are you willing to roll-up your shirt sleeves and begin working on that game plugin? I hope so, it would be a BIG WAF, at least with my wife! Maybe spirder solitare could then be added after that. I really like that version myself!

Here are the game plugins I have found:

Game plugin: ClickMania
    Description: A packing game play for young and old, object is to remove all stones on the playing field. Described as a "backwards" tetris game.
    Author: Bavarian
    Completion level: 100%?
    Thread: thread

Game plugin: TicTacToe
    Description: Play Tic-Tac-Toe as two player game or with computer
    Author: Boris
    Completion level: 100%

Game plugin: Tetris
    Description: Like the normal Tetris game
    Author: Smirnoff
    Completion level: 100% (it is in CVS and can be found in MP)
    Thread: None

Game plugin: Sudoku
    Description: It is a logic puzzle game using a 9x9 grid of numbers. It is very popular in the UK at the moment.
    Author: Cosmo
    Completion level: (work in progress)

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    For anyone looking for a something to do, there is an excellent Java effort called JSolitaire or Jolitaire that could be ported and supports just about every variation on solitaire that you can think of.

I wrote one for my g/f pre-MP days but the code has gone walkabouts and the fighting over the TV and remote puts me off wanting to do one for MP... at the moment anyway.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    barranger said:
    the real problem becomes, how to you support using a remote control without makeing the game tedious?

I'm guessing now, but I imagine using just like playing solitare without a mouse on Windows, using arrow keys (same as on a remote) and then whatever can be used as a select button (the spacebar on the keyboard). I would hope instead of a pointer (under Windows) the card would have an outline (as a visible user interface) to know where you are and where want to place the card (or pile). I just played a couple of games using the keyboard and it seemed ok. I am not sure if using a remote would be tire-some or not.

barranger

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    dunno how it's gonna work out. I'm looking through the source of JSolitaire now (an old version is GPL'd) not promising anything, but we'll see.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    barranger said:
    the real problem becomes, how to you support using a remote control without makeing the game tedious?

Upon pondering this question some additional time I had wondered if in the cursor (card position) logic if maybe you could only jump to the correct locations and skip over invalid locations. That way the amount of thumb (assuming the user is using his/her thumb to move the cursor/card-position-indicator) time is less. If you need additional explantion I will expand and try to describe my thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread