Sorting My Music folder (1 Viewer)

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Koudijs,

Can you tell me which code I need to edit to implement this? Or is it very complicted? I would like this change as soon as possible :0)

Many thanks,
Colin

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you want to try my change (fixed view/sort relation) you need to extract the zipped dll into the MediaPortal\Plugins\Windows directory. This dll must be used in combination with the latest SVN (13505).

To see the effect of it you have to configure the views and sort strings in the setup program. I have set them up like this:

Music Views
    Artists: artist - album - track (three separate rows)
    Songs: title (one row)

Music Sort
    Track: [%track%. ][%title%] [%duration]
    Title: [%title% - ][%artist%] [%duration]

The result of this is that when you select an album in the 'Artists' view you get the tracks by track number and title. When you select the 'Songs' view you get the songs by title and artist. See also the screenshots in one of my previous posts.

Please let me know what you think of it.

Regards,
    Jan

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,

Many thanks for the file. I have downloaded the latest SVN (13512) and installed it before renaming existing windowsplugins.dll to .bak, then extracting the file you attached into that directory. Made the changes to MP setup as you suggested (most of it I had aready done in my attempts to get this to work!). The sorting works fine. However, I cannot manually re-sort from within MP anymore. The "sort by" option is greyed out and cannot be highlighted in order to change sort method. Whilst I appreciate that everything is now sorted as I want, it is often handy to still be able to manually sort things, perhaps when someone else is using MP for example. Is there any way to have the default sorts exactly as you have them, but maintain ability to change the sort mehtod from within MP whilst browsing as was originally the case? Or is this just because I'm using even newer SVN?

Many thanks for your help!!!

Cheers,
    Colin

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Colin,

Nice to hear that the automatic sorting is also working for you.

The 'Sort by' button is disabled by design. I tried to explain the reason for it in one of my previous posts. The problem I'm having with it is that if you change the sort method of for example the first level of the artists view this sort method is also used for the first level of all other database views. This behavior can be changed but if more time needs to be spent on it the sort method should be made configurable in the Music Views table in configuration.exe. Maybe something I will try in the near future..., I will keep you informed.

The reported SVN version is the one that is used for the build of the dll, it should work with newer versions as well.

Regards,
    Jan

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,

Its a real shame the "sort by" is disabled. Unfortunately I will have to return to the standard .dll so that I can still change the sort by in MP, for example its sometimes necessary to be able to sort by date etc. I'm amazed there is no easy option to change this already, I mean its very important when browsing music files to be able to set a default sort but then also change that if the user wants to whilst browsing within MP. I know absolutely nothing about programming, so I can't really appreciate how hard this is to implement. I really hope this is a priority for the next music SVN updates. For me its a really important requirement of a music database. So its strange this has not been addressed already.

Many thanks for your efforts!!! Its nearly there :0)

Cheers,
    Colin

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It seems that temporarily changing the sort method is more important for you than I initially thought. At least I now know that more users are interested in an improved sort implementation :)

I will give it a second try and see if I can make the sort method configurable in configuration.exe. This setting will than be the default when you start MP and it can be temporarily overruled (till you exit MP) via the 'Sort by' button.

This can take some time so don't hold your breath...

Jan

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,

That sounds like it would be perfect! I would really appreciate that improvement.

The sooner the better ;0)

Cheers,
    Colin

Koudijs

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Starting from svn buid 13735 it is possible to configure the default sort method in configuration.exe. There is an additional column in the views table in which it can be specified (see screenshot). This default can be overruled within MediaPortal via the 'Sort by' button, this is effective till MP is closed.

This change is implemented for both the music and movie views.

Regards,
    Jan

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    why is there no sorting by year and could all DB fiels be used for sorting ?

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

This is perfect! Thanks so much for your hard work. I can now enjoy music browsing EXACTLY as i would like........

Cheers,
    Colin

Users who are viewing this thread