Sound problem with speech on commercial DVDs (1 Viewer)

Syd17

March 15, 2017
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I cannot hear characters speaking on commercial DVD films as sound is very muted. Help please?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Dialogue often sounds quiet if you have a stereo (2 speaker) setup and select the surround sound audio track on the DVD without enabling down-mixing in your audio codec settings. It's a common mistake. If this could be what's happening in your case, you ought to either select a stereo (instead of surround) audio track when you play the DVD, or enable down-mixing in your audio codec settings.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I cannot hear characters speaking on commercial DVD films as sound is very muted.
    enable down-mixing in your audio codec settings.
    In the UK, the HD TV channels have the capability to transmit multi-channel sound, and this occurs for a small number of programmes (typically blockbuster movies, prestige drama productions, "The Simpsons" on Channel 4). These programmes suffer with the same problem of inaudible dialogue, so using appropriate mix-down settings would provide a cure for both DVD and HD TV.

In "MP Config", click: "Codecs and Renderer" (left side menu) > "DVD Discs/Images Codecs" tab > spanner icon for "LAV Audio Decoder" > "Mixing" tab, and then:

Select "Enable Mixing".
    Select "Stereo".
    Set "Center Mix Level" to 0.8.
    Set "Surround Mix Level" to 0.6.
    Set "LFE Mix Level" to 0.0.

These settings are a starting point; obviously you can change the values to suit your own preferences. The tabs for other devices also have these settings, but in fact they appear to be the same settings (so changing them on one tab changes them on all tabs).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Syd17

March 15, 2017
    Home Country
    Thanks for the advice. Now works perfectly after changing to a stereo setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

MP1 MP2 [solved] Basic audio question... DE
    Yes, works, thanks. Deselecting "Prefer multichannel audio streams" under "Video Player" (under "Players") gives me the stereo stream, by default, in television also. Thanks for your help. N.
    Yes, works, thanks. Deselecting "Prefer multichannel audio streams" under "Video Player" (under "Players") gives me the stereo...
    Is there a way to set the default audio stream for live TV? The default default, so to speak, for me seems to be English...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 1.32 StreamedMP Latest Music DE
    No one can help me here?
    No one can help me here?
    In StreamedMP I have the most recently added films (Moving Pictures) and also TV recordings on the home screen. But I made the...
    Replies
    Views
    I removed all sign of MySQL, rebooted, did a clean reinstall. It reinstalled 5.6, But I've still got both the same problem - unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts. And Hostname is still in red. I don't understand - this is a dedicated TV computer. Unless an update did this I don't know why there's a problem in the...
    I removed all sign of MySQL, rebooted, did a clean reinstall. It reinstalled 5.6, But I've still got both the same problem -...
    I've been using MediaPortal for 20 or so years. Last night it recorded perfectly. This arvo it doesn't - will run videos but not...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 MP2 - V2.5 No genres after upgrade to 2.5 DE
    You need to check the wiki for TVMosaic, you have recordings as source available once TVM is installed. And of course images and music are part of the NET6 version as for NET4. If you have issues with it further infos would be good.
    You need to check the wiki for TVMosaic, you have recordings as source available once TVM is installed. And of course images and...
    Make sure that your system (Windows, codecs and drivers) is up to date, matching the Requirements and you've filled in your System...
    Replies
    Views
    That fixed the problem. I just manually installed VC_redist.x64.exe and reinstalled 1.32 64-bit. Thanks for that. A couple of things; the deployment tool for 1.32 doesn't remove the previous version when you're updating from 1.31 to 1.32 and "MediaPortal TV Server" gets installed even when you choose to install the client only. I...
    That fixed the problem. I just manually installed VC_redist.x64.exe and reinstalled 1.32 64-bit. Thanks for that. A couple of...
    I have performed client installations of 1.32 64-Bit on four machines using the central configuration setup on Windows 10 Pro...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom