SUGGESTION BOX: Additions for the Rename database system (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ^ wow zicoz, what's your movie count? I'm at ~1250, but I'm guessing you must be over 3k?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi X-Men First class has an error

1. It doesn't display "I" in the title, even though I have set to display roman numerals for first movie in series.
    2. Sort order is wrong

I'm gonna leave it up to you how you think it should be named, but I think that "X-Men First Class I:" is preferably to "X-Men: First Class I:" ie, it's a bit wierd having 2x colons in the title. I'm also thinking that Xmen First Class should be alphabetalized after X-Men becomes it was released later.

Also X-Men Origins Wolverine, is just titled as "Wolverine I" is this correct? I think it should be grouped with the X-Men, even if it's just X-Men Wolverine I: Wolverine" or "X-Men Origins I: Wolverine". (I don't know if they are planing more in the wolverine series or if it's just a one off or what"

Untitled.png

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can I suggest:

<rename id="tt1270798" title="X-Men First Class I: First Class" sortby="X-Men First Class 01" />
    <rename id="tt1877832" title="X-Men First Class II: Days of Future Past" sortby="X-Men First Class 02"/>

<rename id="tt0458525" title="X-Men Origins I: Wolverine" sortby="X-Men Origins 01"/>

However you probably know what is best.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @kiwijunglist, thank you, seriously need to get back into maintaining the rename file. I sometimes add movie series well in advance (have entries in there already for movies not set to be released until 2017), but this creates weird situation that users do not expect to see "I" on 1st movie in the series, when the 2nd movie won't be out for years to come. So to prevent that I add an entry that already sorts the movie as if it was 1st in the series, but then force the title to be without the Roman numeral. When the actual 2nd movie is then released it will at least sort alongside, and then under normal circumstances I will have updated the default rename database to undo the forced roman numbering removal on 1st movie. As you can see in the default rename database that hasn't happened yet. However it should not have sorted the way it did for you, so something must have gone wrong for you still.

In the same file you can also see that there are 3x Wolverine entries already. It was an extreme naming condition on that one that just made sense to strip the messed up "X-Men Origins" away. I always stick as close as possible to the original IMDb title, so that using IMDb+ after default imdb scraper leads to the least amount of reshuffling, which indeed causes the weird situation of the double colon for First Class series.

Does not matter how I do it, somebody is not going to like it, but that is why you have full control to do it exactly the way you prefer by using the custom rename database.

PS: Main reason I fell behind on maintaining the rename database is because I keep wanting to rewrite the IMDb+ scraper script to force rename all titles during import by adding '01' to all sort name. This will entirely automate the process of movies turning into a series later on, and getting sorted wrong (as explained above). The only major problem is that this will kill off the article removal settings of Moving-Pictures, so to compensate I will have to add my own method inside IMDb+. To do that justice this will have to become configurable in IMDb+ plugin, and that requires a major time investment on my part. Just have not been able to do so for the last couple of years due to new job. Working on IMDb+ scraper-script is usually a few minutes that are easy to spare, but the plugin would be many hours, possibly even days to sort everything out. I am making progress in clearing my schedule though to allow for that, so you will just have to be patient for a bit longer, and add your own custom entries for the time being.

Unless of course you know C# and can help me get things done quicker :)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    ^ wow zicoz, what's your movie count? I'm at ~1250, but I'm guessing you must be over 3k?

Yeah, something like that. I am currently reinstalling my server so I don't have a precise number atm. But I am sort of a central server for my family and a couple of friends, so it ads up over time.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The real fun starts when you look at your unwatched count, and realize that with the combined influx of new movies, and increased quality and quantity of TV shows, you might never see some of them :)

Users who are viewing this thread