Supporting DLNA (1 Viewer)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    This is very coincidental, I've been looking around for a DLNA implementation for my Windows machine and haven't found one that is free and will work flawlessly with my new Samsung 7 series. I need one that can transcode MPEG2 TS files (from one of my other FOSS projects, Me TV) and scale it because the TV's Media Player does not respect the PAR of the video. Some implementations claim that they can do transcoding, but all attempts have failed. Out of desperation I thought that I'd check if MP supported it in the hope that I could modify some code and I ended up here.

Long story short, I've started to write my own (in C#) and have made good progress (but still not working), maybe you can just steal that, or run it side-by-side with MP. I expect that I'll have something within a few weeks.

DieBagger, I figure that I'll GPL the code so it could be used in MP but I'm not going to champion that, I don't need it in MP. There's still the issue of DLNA certification which I also don't care about :)

Sounds great. Out of curiosity do you have the specs or do you use information you find on the net for implementing the dlna protocol?

If you were to publish your source with GPL we could use it within mp, depending on how it is written as an external library or by integrating your source code in ours... ;) Did you write the UPNP stuff also from scratch or are you using a library for that? If you're interested, we have a C# .NET library in our MP2 svn repository.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

:D

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    i stopped using wild media server cause i was not able to organize movies based on creation date. and also have a section of latests movies.

they told me i could write a script but was not able to.

hepple

November 21, 2010
    that's a shame because the transcoding is the best I've seen.

UI could be a bit better and support for DVR would be cool.

Just a random side question - has anyone got MediaPortal working linked to a remote device that isn't a PC.

lamothe

November 20, 2010
    Canberra
    Home Country
    hepple, have you tried it on any MPEG 2 TS files? It seems to be where they all fail. My Samsung 7 series can't seem to get it right which is strange because MPEG 2 TS is what most television stations use i.e. What the device was designed to do. It must use different software/firmware/hardware for the built-in Media Player. I think that Wild Media Server was the only one that I didn't try due to the cost.

dweisass

January 22, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Check out Serviio at http://www.serviio.org for a free DLNA server. They also have a Pro version that has a few extra features but the free one should do the basics of what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread