Timeshift still always on in TV Server? (1 Viewer)

OgdenP

Portal Pro
August 12, 2007
Home Country
flash has a limited lifetime for writing to it, especially compared to harddisk usage. I read somewhere this was the main disadvantage to flash-harddisks.
Yes it has a limited lifetime, but so does a hard disk. The Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF) for current flash drives is very similar to that of a hard disk drive (if not better). You can effectively ignore this limitation.

deischi

February 26, 2005
A point back to the original issue.

I also don't see any disadvantages so why would you want it turned off?

I see a different disadvantage with timeshift turned on: The time to change channels is much higher.
With TVE2 and timeshift disabled I can change channels with almost no delay. With timeshift enabled it takes 1 or 2 seconds at least to change channels.

What I remember from other PVRs is that one can optimize to get the channel change time down also when using timeshift - maybe there are already some options in MP I don't know. And what I have seen from some requests in this forms is to do some cosmetics on the transition. From a psychological point of view a smooth "changing channel" screen taking two seconds might be better than a stuttering garbage of one second.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    A point back to the original issue.

I also don't see any disadvantages so why would you want it turned off?

I see a different disadvantage with timeshift turned on: The time to change channels is much higher.
    With TVE2 and timeshift disabled I can change channels with almost no delay. With timeshift enabled it takes 1 or 2 seconds at least to change channels.

That 1-2- second delay must be coming form something else than the timeshifting as many of us are seeing almost instant channel change times on the tve3.

pmcguire

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Back to the RAMdisk issue, if my HTPC has 3 gigs of RAM and I want to dedicate 1024mb to the TS files only. What are the optimal settings? I have tried using the RAMdisk earlier but I just ran into lockups and wierd issues (even more than normal LOL)

Any ideas?

CommGuru

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006
    In TVE3's current state in regards to the doesn't stop recording/timeshifting bug, I don't think using the ram disk for timeshifting is a good idea. I have a 1 gb ramdisk that I run MP and SQL on but leave the timeshifting to a regular HD and it works quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

I had the same issue and found the executable under C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\Titan\BasicHome.Editor\TitanEditor.exe Only the shortcut was missing.
    I had the same issue and found the executable under C:\ProgramData\Team...
    Hi all, Not a rant, more a sharing of experience (maybe hoping to get some clarification on which wrong turn I took) It has been...
    Replies
    Views
    To be fair the normal uninstall is usually more than sufficient. I regularly uninstall and reinstall MP 1 as part of the testing process and only very rarely have I needed to use the manual procedure posted by @CyberSimian to overcome the error you ran into. I also believe there is a procedure to repair the MySQL install in the event...
    To be fair the normal uninstall is usually more than sufficient. I regularly uninstall and reinstall MP 1 as part of the testing...
    I am trying to install Mediaportal with TV Server. I tried many versions, including current x64 and new prerelease x86, and...
    Replies
    Views
    It works perfect now. All channels have been found, even with the default tuning files. Thank you very much! (y) I'd love seing this change in MP 1.33! :)
    It works perfect now. All channels have been found, even with the default tuning files. Thank you very much! (y) I'd love seing...
    With my new hardware, Windows 11 and MP 1.32 the TV channel scan is not working anymore. The frequencies are scanned but no...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 MP2 - V2.4.1 Mouse support for timeshift DE
    I guess it's really a rare case, most users use remote controls, then keyboards and last mouse. I tired to design things mouse friendly as much as possible, because it was almost impossible when I joined the team. As former WMC user I quickly decided to create a WMC-like skin which comes as close as possible in terms of appearance and...
    I guess it's really a rare case, most users use remote controls, then keyboards and last mouse. I tired to design things mouse...
    Hi, I am new to Media Portal, I am an avid Windows Media Center user, love it and trying to hold onto it as long as possible...
    Replies
    Views
    I uninstalled MP, made sure no sub folders were left n any programmes folders, changed the computer name, rebooted, installed MP and set logs and rebooted and ran TVServer. Didn't do anything in regard to S Loopback adapter. I've been using NextPvr since the problem became insurmountable. Only reason it's not a good long term...
    I uninstalled MP, made sure no sub folders were left n any programmes folders, changed the computer name, rebooted, installed MP...
    I've been using MediaPortal for 20 or so years. Last night it recorded perfectly. This arvo it doesn't - will run videos but not...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom