Timeshift still always on in TV Server? (2 Viewers)

cnicolas

Portal Member
November 19, 2006
Home Country
France France
I agree with others, timeshift permanent hard disk activity generate useless noise and heat...

Ramdisk is a good alternative but whith 1 Go you can pause your TV no more than 25 minutes.
I think the better solution is a memory buffer for standard timeshift (for example less than 2 minutes) and disk write for greater time...

Laban

Portal Pro
July 1, 2007
Luleå
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I agree with others, timeshift permanent hard disk activity generate useless noise and heat...

Ramdisk is a good alternative but whith 1 Go you can pause your TV no more than 25 minutes.
I think the better solution is a memory buffer for standard timeshift (for example less than 2 minutes) and disk write for greater time...

Ok, so you want the first 2 minutes to be stored in the memorybuffer and the rest on the harddrive. Which basically means that the harddrive will still be active all the time. Well, not for the first 2 minutes but that's not exactly a big gain imo.
Or perhaps i'm not understanding what you're after here ?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Ok, so you want the first 2 minutes to be stored in the memorybuffer and the rest on the harddrive. Which basically means that the harddrive will still be active all the time. Well, not for the first 2 minutes but that's not exactly a big gain imo.
    I think you got him right, but thats techincaly a problem then.

@cnicolas
    As i said, there are no changes planed on the timeshift feature. Those who are annoyed by the noise for their HDD will have to find a solution.
    I think i summed many approaches up in my post befor allready.

So please think about how to make your HDD silent (i.e. post of kenwonders) see instead of which complex changes to the TV-Server would help you out.

I think it would be a good idea to start a thread about it in the HTPC-Hardware section for it :)
    :D

flokel

Portal Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 11, 2005
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unbearable hard disk noise is rather a problem of incorrect mounting (no suspension)
    and/or the wrong drive.

In the end you can't totally avoid seek/hard disk noise
    whether or not ts is active.

Samsung HD501LJ is a very big and silent drive,
    if you don't need that much space go for a 2,5" drive
    (they are more than fast enough for htpc purposes and very silent).

Imo the advantages of permanent timeshifiting are far outweighing its
    disadvantages.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I'll agree with that.

A Samsung/Seagate drive plus:

- rubber mounts
    - rubber suspension
    - foam surround (heat tested!)
    - computer in cupboard

etc etc will solve this problem.

I don't think Mediaportal coders should be worrying themselves about whether the hard drive is being used.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    anyone else who thinks that this discussion "how to get a HDD silent" should be continued in the HTPC forums?

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country

That system could work if it was a bit different, if the timeshift buffer sat at only 2 minutes normally (you would only ever be able to rewind 2 minutes) but if you paused the TV and waited 10 minutes it would revert to ht HDD method (until you caught up to within 2 minutes). it would require a change in the way it works but it could be do-able and would not use the HDD unless you paused.

I think I will just try hanging my HDD from rubber instead.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

That system could work if it was a bit different, if the timeshift buffer sat at only 2 minutes normally (you would only ever be able to rewind 2 minutes) but if you paused the TV and waited 10 minutes it would revert to ht HDD method (until you caught up to within 2 minutes). it would require a change in the way it works but it could be do-able and would not use the HDD unless you paused.
    just to clarify.
    you can not set "timeshiftbuffer = X minutes" you set "timeshiftbuffer = max use X MB"

so the maxium "time" of the timeshiftbuffer depends on the bitrate of your channel and if it is SD or HD.

If you would be able to set "timeshitbuffer = 120minutes" in TV-Server, then you could run out of HDD space very quickly when you watch a HD channel and/or multiple clients would watch LiveTV provided from one masterserver.

and no, this will not be changed. ;)

BestRip

Portal Member
    February 20, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    ...set "timeshitbuffer = ...

"timeshit..." really? :D but seriously I really like this timeshiftbuffer feature. I have spent some effort on getting my HTPC silent enough to be able to sleep 3 meters away from it without noticing it being on at all... :cool:

I've used
    ...a power supply without any fans: Silverstone Nightjar
    Noctua 120 mm fans @ 5 dB!!!
    a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 16MB 320GB which is the most silent one of all their drives according to a Seagate rep. I contacted...
    a "Scythe Quiet Drive HD Noiseless Case" encloses the HDD and reduces the noise level even more...

with an open case and my ear 20 - 30 cm from the moving parts (HDD and 3 Noctua fans) I think the sound level is really low and get curious as to how much noise there is from each of the fans and the HDD, so I stop the fans and to my surprise almost all of the noise/sound is still there... it’s the HDD that is making the sound that I heard (very low, but still...) so I move away to 2 - 3 meters and there I can't hear my new HTPC at all........ ;)

I've set the timeshiftbuffer parameter to maximum and want to find ways to do this simultaneously on several channels... then when I want to watch tv I can scan over the material collected and only look at whatever I really want to see...

I have 2 other machines that I'm looking to retire (as soon as I can get MP to work as well as it is supposed to do) that has filled about the same functions for me... a Samsung DCB-P850Z 160GB and a JVC DR-MH50 250GB... none of these are known for being especially noisy but they do appear very noisy in comparison... making one of the more pleasurable actions with them to turn them off...

...but the one big advantage these 2 machines have compared to MP and Windows is that they are very stable... :sorry:
    ...but for the work with Media Portal... a great BIG :D

Users who are viewing this thread