Video with subtitles is corrupted with 1.4.0 pre in XP (2 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Also testing this patch... seems very good! :) (y)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    @Sebastiii
    So the solution is to not have "_createFlags |= CreateFlags.PureDevice;" for XP?

I change :
    _deviceType by DeviceType.Hardware
    and
    _createFlags to CreateFlags.HardwareVertexProcessing

So yes i think, we should not have : "_createFlags |= CreateFlags.PureDevice;" or "_createFlags = CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing;"

I didn't attach vs to my XP but it seems that XP can't handle CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing; or CreateFlags.PureDevice;

Like it seems that part is only trigger for XP it should be safe, but it's don't my area so i can't really said @ 100%

Maybe @Scythe42 knows better (for sure he's knows :p)

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Hey Sebastiii, you're simply the best!
    Indeed, your patch also solves several other problems I had - crashing of renderdevice when doing facade navigation (sometimes with endless looping recovery/crash), DX errors and unability to connect the graph (without any recovery) thus VMR9 player not working and some other minor things - a quick test shows all those issues seem to be gone.
    Thanks a lot for your efforts!

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, my personal opinion is to release this as 1.4.1 hotfix (when it is tested) since MP 1.5.0 won't support XP?
    @Developers any opinions?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, my personal opinion is to release this as 1.4.1 hotfix (when it is tested) since MP 1.5.0 won't support XP?
    @Developers any opinions?

I personally don't have a problem with that idea, but I agree with Seb that we could really do with an opinion from Scythe42 and/or Tourettes about the fixes (as they are probably the people who understand this area the best).

Also, before we go through the full release process for a 1.4.1 (which will eat up a lot of time for those involved) should we post an installer in Area51 for a while and get more feedback ?

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I didn't attach vs to my XP but it seems that XP can't handle CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing; or CreateFlags.PureDevice;
    XP can deal with this nicely. But looks like the subtitle rendering part cannot deal with it on XP. No harm to branch the capabilities for XP here when the flags are set, but please not in general of course.

The code just following the capabilities reported by the D3D device and select the highest level the GPU support. No magic here.

Overriding stuff for XP would be possible. If we come up with a PureDevice go back a step to HardwareDevice in case it is supported. But not supporting Software Vertices would be problem for older integrated Intel GPUs as they do not have hardware vertices. If you do not allow this, they could not render anything as there is no mode available for the mat all. It is the lowest you can go without going fully software rendering if I remember my D3D caps correctly.

So keep this in mind with these GMA3xxx GPUs when creating a final patch. Make sure you test it these GPUs as well that it does not introduce general other issues. I spent a lot of

As said the underlying problem is in the subtitle rendering itself. But do whatever you guys think it's right for XP as long as it is just specific to XP and can later be easily removed from the code again.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    It's really not my cup of tea lol :)

So i just find that doing that seems better (for subtitle side) but seems not only for @Guzzi right ?

I can try to do better patch but it's not my area (and do i have one ? :p)
    So can you confirm it when i will supply a new patch, i will try to follow you but i don't have your skills :)

Thanks Scythe for your explanation :)

Ps : i have try to play with subtitle source and it's even worst (C++ lol), the mpcsubs.dll from 1.4.0 run fine on 1.3.0, but the 1.3.0 didn't work on 1.4.0 build.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Overriding stuff for XP would be possible. If we come up with a PureDevice go back a step to HardwareDevice in case it is supported. But not supporting Software Vertices would be problem for older integrated Intel GPUs as they do not have hardware vertices. If you do not allow this, they could not render anything as there is no mode available for the mat all. It is the lowest you can go without going fully software rendering if I remember my D3D caps correctly.

So keep this in mind with these GMA3xxx GPUs when creating a final patch. Make sure you test it these GPUs as well that it does not introduce general other issues. I spent a lot of

As said the underlying problem is in the subtitle rendering itself. But do whatever you guys think it's right for XP as long as it is just specific to XP and can later be easily removed from the code again.

Can you look @ attached patch ? :)

Attachments

• 0001-Override-D3D-when-using-XP.patch
      1.5 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France

What about : :)

Hey Sebastiii, you're simply the best!
    Indeed, your patch also solves several other problems I had - crashing of renderdevice when doing facade navigation (sometimes with endless looping recovery/crash), DX errors and unability to connect the graph (without any recovery) thus VMR9 player not working and some other minor things - a quick test shows all those issues seem to be gone.
    Thanks a lot for your efforts!

How can try on GM3xxx ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom