[vote] Universal IR receiver: desired features (1 Viewer)

Which features would you like to have?

• IR receiver/transmitter only.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • IR receiver/transmitter with multi-color LED interface.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IR receiver/transmitter with S/PDIF output.

• IR receiver/transmitter with multi-color LED interface and S/PDIF output.

• IR receiver/transmitter with another feature (please describe feature below).

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

myscha

Portal Pro
May 6, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Here I wrote down some features of my universal multi-protocol IR receiver. At the moment I think about manufacturing a small batch and would be happy to know your opinion about the features it should offer.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi myscha,

I may be missing something but why would an IR receiver need a S/PDIF output? It might make sense to describe the different options in some more detail as they are not really obvious, at least to me. I mean you ask about the IR receiver and then offer for example an option of LED interface and S/PDIF but without IR? I am a little bit confused.

Regards,
    HTPCSourcer

myscha

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Of course, you're right. The last three options don't make sense - I deleted them. Instead I added an option if someone has an idea for another feature that could also be interesting for other users.

The IR receiver itself doesn't need any of the features.

I just included the S/PDIF output on my board, as my mainboard doesn't offer one and I needed it. Therefore I thought someone else could also like to have that included.

The LED interface allows you to connect a RGB-LED to show both, the power and HDD status of the PC, while only having one physical LED available. I built that into my IR receiver. Now it lights blue when the PC is running and flashes red on HDD access. One has to get used to the resulting purple, but I like it. Now I have only one little box lying around that acts as IR receiver and shows the PC status.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I assume you have some way (eg. LED) to show that the receiver is receiving IR and/or that the transmitter is transmitting IR?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    maybe for me : External Display as small LCD like matrixorbital,

Now that's an idea. If we have the skills we could develop a VFD module with IR, power switch intercept and optional LED feedback for 5'1/4 extension bay.
    As far as the IR specification goes we would need to match Inteset PC-IRS5-01.
    I'm familiar with some VFD modules from Futaba. See also Sharp Display Manager.

Users who are viewing this thread