Android: What is your experience? (1 Viewer)

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That SDK doesn't matter very much as iPiMP already has implemented a server side which could be reused. Since Android 2.3 it supports the HTTP Live Streaming protocol, so the iPiMP stream should, maybe with some codec changes, work. I haven't tried to start a HTTP live stream from the browser, but I think it works, so just a link to the .m3u should make it working. Haven't tried it though as I don't have a working iPiMP setup.

As for aMPdroid, DieBagger and I have implemented a streaming framework in GMA and TV4Home, for the upcoming aMPdroid 0.8 release. HTTP live streaming is a feature that's still on the todo list but will be implemented eventually. iPiMP is quite different here: it uses a monolithic server approach that handles everything. That makes things easier to develop, debug and install, but it scales worse to multiseat setups. Personally I would be happy to see iPiMP use the 'standard' services (GMA, TV4Home and WifiRemote) that all other remotes use, but as that basically is a complete rewrite I don't see that happening. There's also another iPhone-app in the working (CouchPotato) which as far as I know is also going to use these services and provide the same functionality as iPiMP, but as a native app. I personally don't see a future for a cross-platform client solution, but instead a native app for each platform that all use the same services on the PCs.

Btw, the setup of aMPdroid looks quite complicated but you can do it in 10 minutes. We'll probably create a single installer that handles everything in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

MP1 MP2 MP2 DLNA status? DE
    What I meant is that we have a MP2 plugin called UPnP Render that can play media from DLNA servers if I remember correctly. I don't know the current state of the plugin though. That's why MP2 probably never will be certified. ;) Yes, that was also the idea, but it is a big job as all TV's, software etc. seems to not do everything...
    What I meant is that we have a MP2 plugin called UPnP Render that can play media from DLNA servers if I remember correctly. I don't...
    So I'm wondering what the state of play is with MP2 and DLNA functionality? When I started this post, I did see some posts...
    Replies
    Views
    P.S. - Strangely, the TV Server my single seat setup (1.27 on a modest machine running Windows 10 Pro x64) is working from my office machine MP client. Same exact network, firewall, Defender settings. It's a slightly older version of Win 10 though - I haven't updated to 20Hx on it yet. Maybe I shouldn't (or maybe I should image it...
    P.S. - Strangely, the TV Server my single seat setup (1.27 on a modest machine running Windows 10 Pro x64) is working from my...
    Let me start by asking if anyone has TV Server running PROPERLY on a Windows 10 machine, and if so are you using RTSP or UNC share...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 MP2 - V2.4 Some ideas and questions? DE
    Hi, must be really a while, cuz I can not remember any post from you ;) But might be also that I joined the team too late. Yes, there will be many things. Main reason is simply, that MP2 is not developed based on MP1. I for example never used MP1. I tried it lately to test voice control and was shocked about many inconsistancies in...
    Hi, must be really a while, cuz I can not remember any post from you ;) But might be also that I joined the team too late. Yes...
    It´s been a while... :) Well, simply the reason is cause MP1 was working so well... :) Now I decided to upgrade my old servers and...
    Replies
    Views
    That's fun. I shattered my kneecap on one of those e-scooters. I'm terribly out of shape from the months of being bedridden. I didn't get fat, at least, but a walk in the park is not an expression of something being easy anymore.
    That's fun. I shattered my kneecap on one of those e-scooters. I'm terribly out of shape from the months of being bedridden. I...
    It seems odd that most of the problems that people complain about are that we can't switch to MP2 because there's no plugins for...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 Back to MP DE
    Hi, i don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here we go... In the last couple of months i felt the urge to switch away from Mediaportal. While still working very well there were all this shiny new possiblities with Android TV / Kodi, etc. MP seemed a little bit prehistoric in comparision to the alternatives. Kodi has...
    Hi, i don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here we go... In the last couple of months i felt the urge to switch...
    Hi, i don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here we go... In the last couple of months i felt the urge to switch...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom