Android: What is your experience? (1 Viewer)

spoco2

Portal Member
March 6, 2006
I have tried this on my LG Optimus One and found it to be pretty flaky. (Latest release of Media Portal running on XP SP3)

* The web interface will just stop being responsive sometimes and require me to change orientation in order to be able to enter anything into the fields (like on the login page)
* It will connect ok the first time and be usable, but if I close the browser and then come back to it later it will never regain connection or actually control the server again.
* I have trouble connecting a fair bit.

Now, I have also tried the Gmote server/Android App combo and this works very very well, stable connection easy to get in and out of it. BUT that lacks all the benefits of tying into the music db of media portal etc. that this app does (I pretty much just want to use it to control music playing in the house from my media pc).

I have had a look at the XBMC remote mentioned above and that looks pretty darn enticing, being that it's an actual Android App and again, ties into all the information within the Media Centre db.

I think maybe running it in this web browser methodology is limited your speed and responsiveness etc. Have you looked at Appcelerator Titanium Use Appcelerator Titanium to build mobile apps for iPhone & Android and desktop apps for Windows, Mac OS X & Linux from Web technologies for building cross platform apps? I've been using it a bit at work and it is a very nice way to create an app with very high levels of shared code between platforms, write once and deploy to Android, iPhone and others.

Just thinking you might get better results doing it this way rather than using a web server model.

Having said all that, it's your app and it does indeed do what it says on the box, just not stable enough for me to use it in an ongoing manner.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks for the feeback, I haven't heard of such behaviour before on Android devices. I do agree that native apps are mostly going to perform better than web apps.

I have looked at that Titanium product but you need Mac OS to develop for the iPhone, which I don't have. Also my programming skills are limited (I'm a .NET hobbyist really) and iPiMP (by me) wouldn't have happened without the WebApp.Net framework.

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi!

I'm currently testing iPiMP 5.0.1 (5.0.0 + patch) with a HTC Desire, with Android 2.2 (Froyo). All is working quite well (some crashes at the begining... now it's quite stable), but no way to get streaming recordings nor live-tv... I can tell iPiMP transcode a recording, and it's done quite well with Handbrake (I can also play .mp4 transcoded file in my HTPC). But I get this inside phone when trying to start streaming:

Code:
    Fetching the page failed due to larg request or content

Should it work? As it's not... any idea why?

Thanks, and congrats for awesome app!!!

bye!

Wow! Sorry... I've tested it now and it's working (at least for recordings), but only when wifi connected inside home (so phone has private IP inside my network)... If I try it remotely (so I connect using my dyndns domain name, and routed port to HTPC), with 3G, I get that message... Any idea?

Ah! also I can't see my TV logos. I've double checked that path is correct... ¿?

Ok... sorry for this little spam... I reviewed error.log from iPiMP Apache installation, and it seems iPiMP is assuming all logos are png files... Mine are .jpg or .gif... :p

Thanks!

cubii

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    AW: Android: What is your experience?

HI, has somebody working live tv streaming on android? Because i bought me a cheap android tablet for the kitchen and live tv would be nice to have. But the browser cant do flash and silverlight... SO haw can i watch tv? Any ideas?

spoco2

Portal Member
    March 6, 2006
    I'm fully prepared to say that it's the crappy USB wireless adaptor I'm using on my Media Server at the moment while it waits for me to have time to put ethernet through this house (only moved in a few months ago)... So once I do that I'll give it a go again.

But I have given xbmc a go, and while the whole way you add media is horrible, the feedback on what it has and hasn't done is terrible, the limitations on what you can have in video folders is god awful (why only TV or Movies? Why not just videos that I have made myself... fools), the Android app is very, very slick. An Android app like that but pointing at Media Portal and with the stream to phone option for music like gMote has would be heaven for me.

As it stands most of them have issues with the stupid usb adaptor dropping the connection for short periods.

I'll probably go back to using iPimp once I get wired up, but the xbmc android app really is very pretty and very functional.

Again, having said all that, iPimp is the best remote app that MediaPortal has, so hats off sir... hats off :D

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: Android: What is your experience?

HI, has somebody working live tv streaming on android? Because i bought me a cheap android tablet for the kitchen and live tv would be nice to have. But the browser cant do flash and silverlight... SO haw can i watch tv? Any ideas?

If you have 2.2 you can use flash, works surprisingly well...

cubii

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    AW: Re: AW: Android: What is your experience?

If you have 2.2 you can use flash, works surprisingly well...

nope, only 1.6.....no flash .never.

Perhaps it could work with the piiptv streaming plugin, i only need a videoplayer that accepts streams...
    Perfect would be vlc for android...

until then ill try andtv.org

cu cubii

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Could someone please confirm if Android Froyo 2.2 can do live tv using iPiMP? How? When the count down ends for start streaming, I get three buttons: play, stop, and chrome icon... If I press play, I get a text message (I'm not at home now, can't reproduce it), and if I press chrome icon, I get a Silverlight download picture...

Thanks!

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Could someone please confirm if Android Froyo 2.2 can do live tv using iPiMP? How? When the count down ends for start streaming, I get three buttons: play, stop, and chrome icon... If I press play, I get a text message (I'm not at home now, can't reproduce it), and if I press chrome icon, I get a Silverlight download picture...

Thanks!

You need to have flash installed peque!

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Thanks!

You need to have flash installed peque!

You also need iPiMP 5.1.0 to get access to the flash stream.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Users who are viewing this thread