Apple Airplay in MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just install Areodrom and be done with it. It runs in the background and when you start an AirPlay playback it takes over until you are finished. This is exactly for what AirPlay was designed for. You hit a button during playback on your IOS device and a receiver takes over playback of the stream. Yes AirPlay is that dumb. I don't really see how a MP integration provides any advantage over existing Windows AirPlay Receivers.

It is not like there are any control or specific information provided with AirPlay or any fancy features. It's a plain dumb audio or video stream. Also Apple didn't provide any documentation as it has to be officially licensed. Yes it has been reverse engineered and even private keys are available for the encryption of audio.

Also why use it at home? You already have anything in your Media Library that you sync to your IOS device. So it's more interesting when friends come over and want to show something for example when beging on your WiFi. And for that any AirPlay Receiver running is fine.

But maybe I don't see an advanced use here for MP. So if you have a better idea please let me know.

PS: I find the idea of an AirPlay server in MP way more interesting...

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Pausing MP Playback when streaming from iOS would be nice, but overall you are right there is no big need.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That should be possible. Automatic pause on focus change. Meaning when another app comes into the foreground MP pauses...

Ericjuh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just install Areodrom and be done with it.

Tried it out after i was searing forums for best way to integrate airplay with mediaportal. Conclusion, it works great!

Although i stay a dutchguys, and i prefer it free, the Areodrom works great next to mediaportal.

bighick

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I think the point of Airplay in MePo is so that
    1. Any audio/video pauses when your iDevice sends something
    2. You can see what song you are sending over with a nice little graphical thingy dancing to the music and
    3. To beat xbmc to it in windows ;p (that one is a joke but it would be nice to have something before them :))

MightyDetail

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 8, 2012
    Kamen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've used it on Win MediaCenter month ago and it works fine. Just tested it with Mediaportal and works too.

lwenco

Portal Member
    March 2, 2010
    3. To beat xbmc to it in windows ;p (that one is a joke but it would be nice to have something before them :))

It's already integrated in XBMC. I just tried XBMC and the AirPlay feature is really great! You can use all the standard navigation controls (pause, forward, ...) from XBMC and also navigate as usual in XBMC. Therefore I think, it definitely needs to be integrated in MP as well, as the user shouldn't see any other controls or other things from other programs.

mp3lll

Portal Member
    December 24, 2010
    so after all we can get airplay on media portal? or just work with the low app call XBMC :)

ntompson

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2011
    Hobart
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello all.

A note to scythe42 and the broader MP development team that I think integrated Airplay support in MP is really interesting. Some comments to consider:
    • Agree that locally hosted content is better played directly through MP, rather than indirectly through AirPlay
    • Where it gets interesting is for external content sources, which MP doesn't (can't easily) support. For example subscription music services like Pandora, Spotify, MOG, Rdio etc. It would be impossible to build a MP plugin for all of them; an iDevice makes a great UI for these services. I think it is a natural fit that an integrated Airplay client be the means for supporting these services in MP
    • Similarly for subscription movies, eg NetFlix
    • Also, display of track / album names, album art streamed via AirPlay enhances the experience, particularly if that information has the current MP skin applied. Can't do that with an external player.
    I agree that an external player is an OK alternative - particularly if focus / pausing of MP content is handled nicely - but much better if it is integrated with MP. Glancing at Shukuyen's code, it looks like this wouldn't be the most difficult thing to do (assuming anyone has the time !!!)

I am a very happy MP user; as I see it, this would be a great enhancement to a very good product.

My 2 cents worth...

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread