ATI DXVA 2.0 and h.264 with profile 5.1 and 16ref frames decoding (1 Viewer)

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Just tried to install the 10.4 driver on 2 machines and after about 10 secs (after the installer says it's finished) i'm getting a popu that there isn't a driver installed :(
Stuck @ 800x600 reso so rolled back to 10.3...

I had similar problem with cat 10.2.
Do complete ATI uninstall and delete *.dlls from system directory, then reboot and install 10.4.

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Re: AW: ATI DXVA 2.0 and h.264 with profile 5.1 and 16ref frames decoding

bummer.
installed it and realized that it wont persist my scaling options - under/over-scan settings.

when changing refreshrate / hz it reverts back to black bars.

win restore here i come.

btw on x64 win7 on a hd4770 card.

gibman

Cat 10.4 is out:
ATI Catalyst? 10.4 Driver ? What?s New? | AMD at Play

New Windows Features

ATI Catalyst – Video enhancements

H.264 Level 5.1 support
ATI Catalyst can now playback 5.1 level streams on all support players
Allows for playback of high resolutions (4Kx2K)

AMD video transcoding updates

This release of ATI Catalyst provides enhanced support for the Windows 7 Drag and Drop video converter
Performance improvements
New formats supported (H.264 file formats – MTS, WTV, and WMV9 Complex profile interlaced content)
ATI Catalyst Control Center™ option for enabling/disabling GPU acceleration
Support for the ATI Video converter is now available in the advanced view of the ATI Catalyst Control Center

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Same here.
Overscan is not persistent when siwtching between 50 Hz and 60 Hz.
Additionally ADR HD ZDF HD and ARTE HD no longer work at all, with neither Cyberlink nore Windows 7 codec.
IMHO this version is crap.
Will try to revert back.

jacc1234

Portal Pro
April 11, 2008
Any word on 480p content? Can someone with these drivers report if they are having issues playing back 480p Xvid or x264 video?

mironicus

Portal Pro
March 9, 2008
AW: ATI DXVA 2.0 and h.264 with profile 5.1 and 16ref frames decoding

Media Player Classic HomeCinema (x86/x64), svn 1821 - XvidVideo.RU

Supported languages: BR, BY, CN, CZ, DE, EN, ES, FR, HU, IT, KR, PL, RU, SE, SK, TR, UA

Changes (1810-1821):

* Cosmetics, fix include case to clean up warning types, Patch by thevbm;
* Removed auto generated manifest file from SVN. Added method GetVisibleVideoSize() in interface ISubPicAllocatorPresenter for future work;
* Fixed options "Remember last window position/size" (introduced in revision 1707);
* Ticket #12 ([ALL] crash/hang after standby, hibernate, UAC or CTRL+ALT+DEL) partially fixed. Added some threads names;
* Added TortoiseSVN properties for integration with Trac;
* fix : x64 compile;
* Update : libVorbis 1.3.1(20100325);
* added missing libvorbis file;
* updated ffmpeg;
* Added H.264 L5.1 DXVA support for ATI cards with drivers > v8.14.1.6105 (Catalyst 10.4);
* Correct : Level@5.1 check for Ati(remove check for video width);
* Add : MPCVIdeoDecoder, disable DXVA(H.264) for SD video(width < 1280);

* More threads names added for simplifying debugging.

Hooray! Hooray! Now H264 works perfect on ATI cards! :D

Truri

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Wow, nice changelog :)
    Add : MPCVIdeoDecoder, disable DXVA(H.264) for SD video(width < 1280);
    But thats only the workaround for that driverbug?!

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008

But thats only the workaround for that driverbug?!

This is probably the best solution as long those driver issues exist. Even on my ION based system I have sometimes problems with SD content and DXVA (artefacts) - there are so much options you can use for encoding H264. But even an ATOM don't have much problems with CPU decoding H264 SD content. With this option enabled nearly all videos you'll find on the internet should play fine. ;)

jacc1234

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2008
    Any word on 480p content? Can someone with these drivers report if they are having issues playing back 480p Xvid or x264 video?

I doubt this is drivers issue, because PDVD9 decoder working fine in DXVA mode.

As you can see with the changelog of MPC, it looks like it is somehow related to the drivers and MPC/FFDSHOW DXVA filters. Any driver after 10.1 causes corruption with 480p and some other SD h264 content. I tested with both the MPC and FFDSHOW dxva filters and they had the corruption. I assume its probably because FFDSHOW is based on the MPC filter.

Im glad to see the MPC has come up with a workaround. I would still like ATI to get their act together though.

Now we just need to wait for hoborg to add the new MPC 1821 filters or find a way to implement the SD DXVA fix. :)

Knives03

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2009
    I'm also being faced with the scaling settings not being remembered between refresh rate changes when using the new Catalyst 10.4s. Back to the 10.3s.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: ATI DXVA 2.0 and h.264 with profile 5.1 and 16ref frames decoding

After that it will get video side par with Nvidia (and ATI has advantage on audio side already).

Never knew nVidia cards are able to play profile 5.1 videos using dxva, did i miss that info?

Users who are viewing this thread