ATI DXVA 2.0 and h.264 with profile 5.1 and 16ref frames decoding (1 Viewer)

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Re: AW: ATI DXVA 2.0 and h.264 with profile 5.1 and 16ref frames decoding

Better is to blame on ATI for that **** bug ^^

I doubt it is ATI bug. If you will try to play corupted sample with PDVD10 DXVA decoder, you will see there is no problem at all.

jacc1234

Portal Pro
April 11, 2008
But both FFDSHOW and MPC-HC have the same behavior so I guess that means its something in the shared codebase for the DXVA playback. FFDSHOW DXVA decoder is based of off MPC-HC code right?

Also why would it just start to manifest in the 10.2 drivers?

zackoj

January 25, 2009
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
Re: AW: Re: ATI DXVA 2.0 and h.264 with profile 5.1 and 16ref frames decoding

Does anyone know if the new SAF5 builds incorporate the workaround to prevent corruption with 408p files? Someone posted that MPC disables DXVA for SD content to prevent the issues people were having with Cat 10.2+ but im not sure if or how that would be incorporated into SAF 5.

No, I have SAF5 installed and I can't find the option in ffdshow.
I use now my own workaround, with a profile for ffshow based on the videoresolution to switch off dxva. ;)

Can you please write i quick guide how to do that.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
With all the problems with DXVA, isn't it easier just to forget about it and let the CPU do the decoding, particularly if the only way to get DXVA working is to upgrade to Win7!

What CPU is the minimum necessary to decode Blu-ray discs (video and audio). Would an AMD X2 250 be up to it?

If so, then I could just concentrate on getting a graphics card that can bitstream the audio to my receiver, which I assume would lower the CPU load as it wouldn't be decoding the audio then.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Ati Catalyst 10.5 are out !

release note :
    Support for 120 Hz displays on the ATI Radeon™ HD 4000
    Series and ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series

z ATI Catalyst™ now supports 120 Hz Displays for the ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 and
    ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series

win 7
    Enabling dynamic contrast in Catalyst Control Center video settings no longer causes
    vertical stripes to appear during XVID content playback

4irm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: ATI DXVA 2.0 and h.264 with profile 5.1 and 16ref frames decoding

Ati Catalyst 10.5 are out !

release note :
    Support for 120 Hz displays on the ATI Radeon™ HD 4000
    Series and ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series

z ATI Catalyst™ now supports 120 Hz Displays for the ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 and
    ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series

win 7
    Enabling dynamic contrast in Catalyst Control Center video settings no longer causes
    vertical stripes to appear during XVID content playback

As for me, it pretty much messed up all 1080i channels :-( DXVA is broken (came from 10.4 or 10.3)

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I unloaded 10.4 last night and installed 10.5 -- as you see I'm running the HD4200 on-board and it seems to run smoother, fewer dropped frames than I was seeing under 10.4 I've played around with the CCC settings so I can't say exactly if it's the new driver or the settings. I'll try to be more concrete and assess this better in the next few days.

4irm -- What do you mean DXVA is broken? On what card, what codec, and what format material? And, are you implying it was working under an older version?

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Curious. Does that mean that Cat 10.4 and below did not allow selecting 120hz refresh rate on HD3000/4000 chipsets?

Seems strange as I thought even some CRTs can work at that refresh rate. What am I missing?

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    CRTs could do that a long time ago already indeed. But in general not at the resolution of 1920x1080. With the introduction of the LCD monitors and TV screens, the screens and resolutions have been getting bigger and bigger, but have from the beginning been operating at a standard 60hz. No need to go higher because there is no flicker of the screen anymore with lcd. Good for office work. BUT... recent TV's now have the *buzz buzzzz* 120hz 200hz 300hz all-improved-motion-flow-technologie.. Sound good doesnt it :) This means they accept higher refreshrates again. The goal of this very high refreshrate is to make it easier to match(or a multiple of) the refreshrate to the fps of the media source. ATI wasnt prepared for that I guess because their driver did not support this yet...

Users who are viewing this thread