Best codec and settings | Page 2

Discussion in 'MyTV - Engine 0.2' started by KoktGrus, April 26, 2007.

1. mpfrank

mpfrank Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your response!

Cyberlink announces that PowerDVD 7.3 is Vista certified and I'm using the latest nvidia drivers. I have no idea what to do to get it running :(

May be the video codec also depends on the audio codec? What is your setting for the audio codec? MPA or Cyberlink Audio?

Cheers
    mpFrank

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spinmar

spinmar Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Italy Italy
    Hi Mpfrank,
    did you find a solution for PowerDvd 7.3?
    I'm interested too :)
    Best regards

4. mpfrank

mpfrank Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Hi Spinmar,

sorry, not yet!
    It seems to be a problem of MediaPortal.
    All other TV applications like TT-Mediacenter or GlobeTV are working fine with the PowerDVD 7.3 H.264 codec. Only in Mediaportal its not stable enough to use it day by day.
    I hope/expect that the MP developers will integrate h.264 codec support in their MPV renderer so I'll wait for that.

Also when watching HD-TV there are always scaling issues to get the tv window to real full screen and streched for 16:9 display. This happens with all TV apps named above and in MP too (if it works ;) ) So its not really worth for me to put high prioritiy on this.

Cheers
    mpFrank

5. kkendall

kkendall Portal Pro

Senior Marketing & Communication
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    I just wish I knew what all the differences are between all these different audio and video renderers...
    I see on your printscreen that Cyberlink installs 3 video renderers. Why does Cyberlink install 3 video renderers? You can only choose one, so what are the other 2 for? Is there a good comparison, review or something you guys know of that compares a bunch of these renderers?

6. plind

plind Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I agree with kkendall: can anyone clarify why I have different PowerDVD renderers to choose from and how do they differ? The same holds for other renderers like ffdshow (there's a "ffdshow video renderer" and a "ffdshow raw video filter"). What's the difference?

Next to that, I'm hoping for more advice around this topic. I now have MP running with a FloppyDTV card on a 690G motherboard, going to a 720p Toshiba LCD TV via HDMI. Untill now I've been using ffdshow as main video renderer, but I'm not too pleased with the performance. When I apply a deïnterlace filter, Blur & NR, Levels and Resize, I don't get smooth video anymore when using the more advanced algorithms. That's very unfortunate, because so far I do like how well ffdshow polishes up the picture.

Anyway, there must be many people out there that have tweaked a similar configuration endlessly. I'm hoping to hear more of your experience of what video renderer delivers the best quality for you. I'm especially interested in how well deïnterlacing, noise reduction, resizing and black level correction works for you (since I found these to be the key filters for my setup).

Thanks!

Pascal.

7. petsa
    • Premium Supporter

petsa MP Donator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi!

I'm looking for some simple advise to tune the picture quality, in particular for sports where the panning almost make me sea-sick. I'm currently using PDVD 7.3 for SDTV, but I've played around a little with ffdshow as well.

Do you have some suggestions where to start tweaking? I think the colors is quite OK but the "blurring" during a camera pan is not very pleasant.

I'm using a 32" LCD with 1366x768 resolution, connected with DVI to a Nvidia 8600GT Silent. Latest drivers installed.

I tried some NR and (de)blurring but I could use some advise from you.

Cheers

/Peter

8. tompa
    • Premium Supporter

tompa MP Donator

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Show System Specs
    petsa
    Are u running boxer?
    Try nvidia decoder (if u haven't). I'm running it with no tweaks at all, the only thing i had to do is to set the refresh rate of screen to 50Hz. (Also having a LCD with 1366x768 resolution.) Every sport event is solid and crispy ;)

Best of luck!
    /tompa

9. petsa
    • Premium Supporter

petsa MP Donator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Tompa,

Well I use FTA channels in DVB-T, so yes I would say this is Boxer channels. I'll give it a go with Nvidia Decoder.

Thanks for the advise!

/Peter

10. Dubyahjay
    • Premium Supporter

Dubyahjay MP Donator

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    The newest Dscaler build does a pretty good job of deinterlacing and resizing with some quality enhancements. Good enough to take my SD signal to 80inches diag and be watchable.

11. justinteract

justinteract New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Dubyahjay,
    how can I try the newest DScaler build? Do I have to install the latest SVN MP build, or do I have to do something else ?
    Also, if you guys say it "works perfectly" do you also check the FFWD/BACKW and skip capabilities, because the behavior and how good the various codecs manage to handle this, greatly differs in my installation. The MPV codec is pretty good when it comes to seeking, but it can not display 4:3 in correct aspect ratio.
    The "Cyberlink Video/SP BD-HD (PDVD7.x)" codec does an awesome job when it comes to seeking. Great FFWD/BACKW, but it also does not do the 4:3 -> 16.9 switched correct...
    And then... this is all local, I noticed that remote is a total different story, because it seems that MP open the TS file directly when TVServer runs locally....

still looking for the right codec for my setup
    MP with TVE3 local and remote on Vista32 + ATI HD2400

Olaf

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!