DVB-EPG Slow? (DVB-C) (1 Viewer)

dedi

Portal Pro
January 27, 2010
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
When tuning to a channel in LiveTV (DVB-C) which does not have a loaded EPG yet, its needs 1-2min to grab the DVB-EPG.

My dreambox can display it in 2-5seconds.

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    There are a different ways of epg handling used MP and dreambox.
    Mediaportal grabs all availible epg after that store in into db. Only after that its available to you.
    But your dreambox imho shows it immediately while loading.

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Mediaportal grabs all availible epg after that store in into db. Only after that its available to you.

MP is also not very optimized, it has no detection if all info is grabbed. It just grabs for certain periods of time, and after that updates the database with all info found.

Possibly the dreambox has such a detection.

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

MP is also not very optimized, it has no detection if all info is grabbed. It just grabs for certain periods of time, and after that updates the database with all info found.

I dont know about DVB-C, but on DVB-S all info grabbed detection working on my setup.

dedi

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I did some tests now with my Dreambox:
    After 2sec I have the current and the next show in the Guide.
    After 7-11 seconds I have complete EPG for days.

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I dont know about DVB-C, but on DVB-S all info grabbed detection working on my setup.

I will have to look into that when i am at home, but as far as i now all DVB uses the same grabber.

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I took a look at the code (in TSWriter) and that only works time based, not based on whether it has received all EPG packages.

Implementing such a feature could mean a performance increase, but i don't think it will ever reach the speed of the dreambox.

dedi

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    maybe do a first write do the database after the current and the following show is grabbed? its not an issue when using WebEPG configured correctly (what I have now).

But for some time now I did not had a grabber for some channels, and they have also only a short (2 programs) via DVB-EPG. Switching to that channel meant mostly no EPG data, and quite long to see whats currently running or comes next. That leaded to that I mostly did not use that channel anymore :)

Users who are viewing this thread