DVBT 2 (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    A while ago, I sent BlackGold an email asking them to clarifying the spec of the BGT3620, pointing out the ambiguity of their web-site.

And also asking them to indicate when the BGT3620 would ship. (December the 32nd is no use to me!)

Unfortunatley they've chosen not to reply to my politely worded enquiry.

You really have to wonder why...

I'm thinking it can't be good news.

Blackgold are *shocking* at replying to emails. Apparently they've had some problems with losing them ;)
    I guess you submitted the "email" via the form on their website? You might try emailing or calling them directly:

support@blackgold.tv
    +44 1865 338008

brian_damage

Portal Member
    June 16, 2008
    Brian, there's alway this instead: PCTV systems nanoStick T2 290e DVB-T2 (23076) - dabs.com

Quite tempted myself, just would prefer a pci-e card ideally...

Yeah - Tempted here too, but PCI-E would be better. I guess I'll hve to wait until 2011 for BG to release their ambiguous card. (I'm assuming they won't actually deliver in December 2010!) Unless someone else releases a PCI-E card beforehand.

Alphathon

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I too contacted BlackGold for some clarification on some things (not release date, but some tech specs) back on the 21st. They finally got back to me this morning with this:

Dear Sir

Please accept our apology for the late response to your enquiry.

BGT3620 is transparent to the HD format of the program content. (This was in response to my question about resolution support since I had heard that that USB stick device only supported 720p)

Both tuners support DVB-T and DVB-T2 to the latest standards.

External video is only support to standard definition format as you have listed. RGB input is via phono connectors.(This was in response to my question about resolution support for YPbPr and whether "RGB" component meant SCART, VGA etc or both… judging by the response, SCART)

Audio inputs are provided alongside video inputs therefore avoiding input lag.(Again referring to analogue capture. To me this implies that there is input lag, but that for most uses it is irrelevant. I had hoped to play around with hooking up some games consoles but that's probably impractical without also routing them separately to my monitor/sound system. Also it means I'll have to build a YPbPr converter for my good old Mega Drive to actually play it - oh well)

Media Center remote is currently an OEM only option. It expected to be available as an all customer option from mid Q1 2011.

All current information is provided on the website.(Well, apparently not, or at least it's really hard to find.)

Best regards,

BlackGold Sales

So yeah, looks like it's a dual DVB-T2 tuner device.

Just out of interest, is the analogue capture likely to work (I don't necessarily mean officially supported) in MediaPortal?

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    There is a thread about DVB-T2 cards over on Hexus and one of the guys there has a nanoStick which he has taken apart, done a USB dump in linux and sent photos of the internals to the LinuxTV guys to ty and help with some kind of driver support.

The decoder in that is the same Sony one that is on the dual tuner Blackgold, which would make both tuners DVB-T2.

Here we go: Opinions - Where are the DVB-T2 PC tuners? - Page 4 - HEXUS.community discussion forums

brian_damage

Portal Member
    June 16, 2008
    Interesting!

:D

A dual PCI-E DVB-T2 tuner (I'm ignoring the DVB-C which I have no use for) would be much better than a single USB tuner, so this is now looking more attractive. But they've really shot themselves in the foot with the wording on their web-site.
    They obviously don't realise how ambiguous it is. If only they hadn't "lost" they email I'd sent to them about this.

Shame there's no more definite news on the release date... (Another question I'd asked).

Whilst I'd love to think this will be this year, based on past experience I guess it's not likely...

Has anyone ordered one yet? Perhaps we'd get an expected delivery date in confirmation ?

Alphathon

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Don't know if anyone's seen this, but there's a short review of the Blackgold card at UWS. Not really much to say other than it seems to work pretty well, and that the cards seem to be in the hands of some OEMs (namely Tranquil).

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Not a great review, but this line is good:
    So the next test was to use both tuners at the same time, so what better way that to record two Freeview HD channels at the same time.
    As WMC is pretty dumb when it comes to channel selection, it needs two tuners to view or record from two channels on the same MUX (such a waste!!), proving the BGT3620 does have two DVB-T2 tuners.

I do wonder why the reviewer is getting 103 channels when there are only 4 extra HD channels it should be picking up over the 80 he gets with any other card or his STB. I would have tracked that one down, but he doesn't seem to care. After all, it could be a problem with the BGT3620 that is giving him the extra channels.

Alphathon

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Just checked the Black Gold product page and the availability has changed from December 2010 - day(s) to 10 day(s). Don't know how reliable that is likely to be (no idea of their track record etc) but it's looking promising :).

Users who are viewing this thread