DVBT 2 (1 Viewer)

darklord

Portal Pro
September 22, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Anyone know if the new DVBT2 standard here in Sweden Will work with FireDTV or any other cards?:eek:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Why only 1280x720 though? USB not fast enough for 1080?
    I thought that was odd too. Not sure what sort of resolution HD channels are actually transmitted at. I know on DVB-S that BBC and ITV transmit at 1440x1080 where as all the Sky channels (on DVB-S2) are at 1920x1080.

IIRC when they did the Freeview HD trial at Crystal Palace they actually used DVB-T and transmitted HD at 1080i with MPEG2 compression (so any normal TV should work).

The 720p bit on this card is confusing as it takes a lot of power to resize video and this card is meant to simply transfer the digital stream to your PC for processing :confused: Perhaps it will do 1080i as well as 720p ?? (which I think all DVB-T content will be??)

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    Why only 1280x720 though? USB not fast enough for 1080?
    I thought that was odd too. Not sure what sort of resolution HD channels are actually transmitted at. I know on DVB-S that BBC and ITV transmit at 1440x1080 where as all the Sky channels (on DVB-S2) are at 1920x1080.

IIRC when they did the Freeview HD trial at Crystal Palace they actually used DVB-T and transmitted HD at 1080i with MPEG2 compression (so any normal TV should work).

The 720p bit on this card is confusing as it takes a lot of power to resize video and this card is meant to simply transfer the digital stream to your PC for processing :confused: Perhaps it will do 1080i as well as 720p ?? (which I think all DVB-T content will be??)

Hopefully that's just a mistake in the article. I see no reason why this should only do 720p. The USB2 interface can easily handle the bitrate. 720p seems pointless and can't see that anyone would buy one.

Tallone

Portal Member
    October 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Hopefully that's just a mistake in the article. I see no reason why this should only do 720p. The USB2 interface can easily handle the bitrate. 720p seems pointless and can't see that anyone would buy one.

My take on this was that it was an arbitrary limitation on the codec the bundled software ships with - why go to the hassle of putting extra silicon in the system when Sony (I presume it uses the Sony chip?) are exploiting their market position.

Going from the system specs, I don't think the codec has DXVA support either, which is ridiculous.

Still, as long as theres a nice, well written, compliant BDA driver we should all be ok...

debaser_uk

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2006
    NE Lincs, UK
    Home Country
    i would imagine that no manufacturer will start producing anything affordable for some time. DVBT-2 is only used right now in the UK I believe. Didn't the BBC have a big hand in the spec / development of it? If it rolls out in other countries, then I guess the manufacturers will get on board, but if the market is currently only the UK, then that market is too small to warrant the development costs I guess. DVBT-2 isn't even all over the UK yet, so it is really still emerging technology?

Shame, I want a DVBT-2 card too.

Users who are viewing this thread