DVBT 2 (1 Viewer)

Alphathon

Portal Pro
July 15, 2010
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
What do you mean by "I can't seem to use anything other than Monogram"? Have you actually tried to install the DivX codec?
The codecs that are available are available because you have installed them. Some get installed automatically as a part of installing other programs, but you can install whatever you like. In other words, you're not just limited to what is available right now. You can get other codecs...

Yeah. I also have many other capable (or supposedly capable) codecs installed, which can be selected for AAC when used with video. Within the config app there are separate tabs for "Video Codecs", "TV Codecs", "DVD Discs/Image Codecs" and "Video Renderer". Within "Video Codecs" there are quite a few options listed under AAC, but under "TV Codecs" only Monogram shows up on the LATM-AAC list. Of course, AAC and LATM-AAC are not the same thing, so perhaps I have versions of all these that don't support LATM-AAC, but I have tried updating them etc. I'll certainly have avother go with the DivX codec but it doidn't seem to work the first time. From what I've read on other threads here, this seems to be a limitation of tsreader.ax, but an alternative file is available that can use other LATM-AAC decoders.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, that makes more sense.
    Make sure you restart after installing new codecs...

Alphathon

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    OK, I've reinstalled DivX and it shows up now (maybe the installation got borked the first time or something). It kinda works (video starts in silence, then after about a minute the sound starts up from when the video started, so the video stops while it catches up) but at least I can hear it now. Now to get it stable and working properly.

P.S. any idea why my others aren't showing up (whichever one happens to be being used by Media Center for example)? Just not compatible perhaps?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK, I've reinstalled DivX and it shows up now (maybe the installation got borked the first time or something). It kinda works (video starts in silence, then after about a minute the sound starts up from when the video started, so the video stops while it catches up) but at least I can hear it now. Now to get it stable and working properly.
    Hmmm. Try using the DivX video codec as well...

P.S. any idea why my others aren't showing up (whichever one happens to be being used by Media Center for example)? Just not compatible perhaps?
    You haven't listed them so I haven't got a hope of knowing anything ;) :D

Alphathon

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    mm1352000 said:

Doesn't seem to have helped. I'll play around with the settings a bit, see if I can get it working. (I don't know what about DivX can be customised).

Incidentally, it only seems to do it when changing channel and can be fixed by turning the stream off then on again.

Fair point. The ones that show up on the Video page are:
    • DivX AAC Decoder
    • Elecard Audio Decoder (don't think this supports LATM-AAC)
    • ffdshow Audio Decoder
    • Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder
    • MONOGRAM AAC Decoder
    • MPC - MPA Decoder Filter
    • MPC - Real Audio Decoder
    Only Monogram and now DivX show up on the TV tab's LATM-AAC dropdown. I don't know which one WMC is using, but I would guess Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder, so I'd have thought that'd be listed too at least. Also, I think ffdshow can handle LATM-AAC (not sure though).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Doesn't seem to have helped. I'll play around with the settings a bit, see if I can get it working. (I don't know what about DivX can be customised)

Fair point. The ones that show up on the Video page are:
    • DivX AAC Decoder
    • Elecard Audio Decoder (don't think this supports LATM-AAC)
    • ffdshow Audio Decoder
    • Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder
    • MONOGRAM AAC Decoder
    • MPC - MPA Decoder Filter
    • MPC - Real Audio Decoder
    Only Monogram and now DivX show up on the TV tab's LATM-AAC dropdown. I don't know which one WMC is using, but I would guess Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder, so I'd have thought that'd be listed too at least. Also, I think ffdshow can handle LATM-AAC (not sure though).

Okay, I think you're right about Elecard.
    The MPC ones definitely don't.
    I think Microsoft should, but not certain. I'll take a look at the code when I get home in 5 hours or so and see what the criterion is for each field. FFDShow is tricky because support can be disabled. Again, I'll have to look at the code...

Alphathon

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Right, I've recorded a clip (finally - MP kept crashing etc*) and it's uploading now. My upload is only 256kbps on a good day so it'll take a while (estimated time <2hrs! :eek:).

*Whenever I press record, assuming "until manual stop" is selected the UI freezes for a while. (This also happens with SD channels so I don't think it's related; maybe I need to try a different skin). Also it has a tendency to crash MP completely after a few minutes of the recording (also happened when I timeshifted Top Gear earlier - I had it paused for about half an hour, then came back and it crashed after 5 mins of viewing). As far as I'm aware this issue is HD only.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    *Whenever I press record, assuming "until manual stop" is selected the UI freezes for a while. (This also happens with SD channels so I don't think it's related; maybe I need to try a different skin).

I guess this is because the UI waits for TV Server to start the recording. This takes a little time (graphbuilding, tuning, recording file creation etc)...

Also it has a tendency to crash MP completely after a few minutes of the recording (also happened when I timeshifted Top Gear earlier - I had it paused for about half an hour, then came back and it crashed after 5 mins of viewing). As far as I'm aware this issue is HD only.
    Hmmm... not sure about that one. Have you got logs? Would be best to report a bug if you have.

Users who are viewing this thread