ETA/Progress on v8.0? Any updates? (1 Viewer)

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    FlashFXP Development Team
    Home Country
    progress can always be followed on the project page (Google code)
    here: moving-pictures - Project Hosting on Google Code
    and here: Issues - moving-pictures - Project Hosting on Google Code for the issues (you may even sort them to your own liking)
    Everything else has been posted by fforde several times and can be found by using the search feature on this forum.
    when you want to alpha -alpha tes you can build your own unsupported dll by using the excellent guide over at the project page and using the open source source code, also on the google code page.
    See, it's all there, no need to keep asking the devs.... Cause it will probable be ready when it's ready.

previous is not meant as a rant, but please use the search.

Well said... fforde keeps updating various threads with the status and progress. These constant questions/threads are of no help.

igu

Portal Member
    January 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Great work!! Need help with 'Quasi' multiseat

I'd like to thank all the people that make Moving pictures possible. So far it looks great and works great but the useability could be improved.

Until there is support for filtering (genres/years/ anyhting that gets pulled down from IMDB) I cannot use it as an everyday plugin since I have over 1000 mkv's! and trying to scroll through that many movies takes a long time!

Also I am really hoping for multiseat "client/server" install in the future since right now it is very hard to get everything properly sync'd across my network. Currently I need to copy database and Thumbs folders from the "server" onto the 3 client machines I have running, this makes updating very tedious to say the least. Eventough I use ROBO COPY and batch files, I don't have enough space on the clients for the approx 2 Gigs of Covers/thumbs for moving pictures.

I tried poiting to only the thumbs folder using mediaportalDir's.xml and only copying the DB locally but Moving pictures doesn't like that for some reason... (works ok with the built in Movie DB so I know I have it configured properly):D Unless there is another place where Moving pictures finds it's path for covers/thumbs... can anyone specify how moving pictures does this?:confused:

:D
    Again thanks to everyone, I hope the above post doesn't sound like complaining....

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I'd like to thank all the people that make Moving pictures possible. So far it looks great and works great but the useability could be improved.

Until there is support for filtering (genres/years/ anyhting that gets pulled down from IMDB) I cannot use it as an everyday plugin since I have over 1000 mkv's! and trying to scroll through that many movies takes a long time!

Also I am really hoping for multiseat "client/server" install in the future since right now it is very hard to get everything properly sync'd across my network. Currently I need to copy database and Thumbs folders from the "server" onto the 3 client machines I have running, this makes updating very tedious to say the least. Eventough I use ROBO COPY and batch files, I don't have enough space on the clients for the approx 2 Gigs of Covers/thumbs for moving pictures.

I tried poiting to only the thumbs folder using mediaportalDir's.xml and only copying the DB locally but Moving pictures doesn't like that for some reason... (works ok with the built in Movie DB so I know I have it configured properly):D Unless there is another place where Moving pictures finds it's path for covers/thumbs... can anyone specify how moving pictures does this?:confused:

:D
    Again thanks to everyone, I hope the above post doesn't sound like complaining....

for the phrase marked in bold letters. i recommend you set the thumb folder in your server as the default thumb folder for mediaportal. its the mediaportaldir.xml you need to edit. that way you dont have to copy thumb folder content.

as for the database i agree on it being a pain to update the 3 clients. one solution i have is to manage everything from one client and then copy using a batch the databases to the rest of the clients. this batch is auto run each time i turn the clients on before opening mediaportal. as the client which manages the databases uses databases in the server, then the database files are always available to be copied.

hope that helped

igu

Portal Member
    January 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey Gixxer thanks for your reply. Not sure if you understood .

Currently I use the method you described for the internal movie manager "My Videos" in mediaportal (to share thumbs directory) but this won't work for some reason with movingpictures. (i've tried UNC paths and Mapped to network drive letter)

1. It takes forever for mediaportal to start on the client machine (s) with Moving pcitures enabled
    2. Once media portal is started and I go to the moving pictures plugin, none of the Covers and Thumbs show up but the movies still work ( so I know the database is ok,

what I am wondering is does Moving pictures use mediaportaldirs.xml to get the location for the thums dir or are the locations for Thumbs hardcoded in the moving pictures database file. If they are hardcoded I guess there is only one way to check, change the location of the thumbs so that when I add the movies to the database it will point to one universal location..... hmmm I think ijust answered my own question.... Let me know what you think.,

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I can confirm that the central database concept works flawlessly on my two clients. Of course I am only using one at a time. 1000mb fixed line lan.

All locations (example database & thumbs)) in mediaportaldirs.xml are UNC paths. On both PC's.
    All movie locations inside MovingPictures configuration are UNC paths.

We are a bit off topic with the last 4 posts in the ETA-thread. If we need further discussion on the central database, I can move the last 4 posts to a new thread.

igu

Portal Member
    January 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Ok I did a test to confirm my theory about how Moving Pictures and how it gets the thumbs location.

Originally when importing movies it grabs the thumbs location from the Mediaportaldirs.xml file then when you start Moving Pictures, it then grabs the thumbs location not from the Mediaportaldirs.xml file but from the movingpictures.db3 database. This is what was confusing me since the "My Videos" always looks at the mediaportaldirs.xml.

So for example if I am configuring the database on the server where the Thumbs are loaded locally, then load the same database from a client ( where the Thumbs are now on the network) It can still find the Thumbs since I've edited the Mediaportaldirs.xml file to point to the proper location of the Thumbs directory ( For "My Videos")

I now have this working flawleslly eventhough my original assumption was flawed, I assumed that My videos and Moving pictures always used the Mediaportaldirs.xml to find the location for thumbs. But in this regard Moving Pictures uses the path that It originally got from the mediaportaldirs.xml

I now see what Gixxer was saying about editing the mediaportaldirs.xml on the SERVER!!!...so I am one step closer... this isn't true mutiseat ... but really do i need to keep track of what I've watched across 3 clients? at least now I can sync everything pretty easily.... Thanks to everyone

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    sorry for not having answer you igu, ive been in working trips lately and lost focus of this thread, if you still need any kind of help to set it up, tell me.

Users who are viewing this thread