Feedback on 1.2 music changes (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: Re: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

And the diffrent behaviour of play/ok. In 1.1 it was possible to use the ok for continous playback (if a track was selected), Play was (for me) only needed for a folder/album. With 1.2 "all to playlist" has to be active and "listen bevor adding" is not usable.
    I am not 100% sure what you are saying. Yes the ability to listen to a track before adding it to the playlist is not working but that is one issue that is not directly related to select / play (it is about creating playlists).

Fundamentally the play and select buttons are no different to how they were before. You press play on an album; the album plays. You press select on a track then all the tracks play. If you never open the playlist screen you should not see any difference in this basic usage between 1.1 and 1.2.

Maybe there has to be distinguish between 2 "Types" of Playlist's:
    • actual playing
    • and actual editing
    ?

Yes indeed this is playlist handling and something I want to improve. Bear with me on this one.

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: Re: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

And the diffrent behaviour of play/ok. In 1.1 it was possible to use the ok for continous playback (if a track was selected), Play was (for me) only needed for a folder/album. With 1.2 "all to playlist" has to be active and "listen bevor adding" is not usable.
    I am not 100% sure what you are saying. Yes the ability to listen to a track before adding it to the playlist is not working but that is one issue that is not directly related to select / play (it is about creating playlists).

Fundamentally the play and select buttons are no different to how they were before. You press play on an album; the album plays. You press select on a track then all the tracks play. If you never open the playlist screen you should not see any difference in this basic usage between 1.1 and 1.2.

Except for the way it pops up dialogue boxes and clears/adds to the playlist requiring lots more input & button presses from the user - to the end user it is different to how they were before, and I would say that to the end user it is directly related to select/play. Personally, I'm almost always using the 'playlist' screen. And while it may be another thing 'behind the scenes', to the end user there is only one playlist - the playlist on the playlist screen, that you add/queue tracks to. If you've got problems with not being able to see what's queued up, why aren't you using the playlist function as it was before? Adding & queuing tracks up on to it? Surely that is what the playlist function is for? To have a queued up list of tracks to be played?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    OK there are some files attached I would like you to try.

This will not solve any of the playlist issues. What it will do is remove that annoying pop-up and there are some tweaks to the config. Now rather than modes basically you set the option for what you want the select/enter/ok button to do.

The defaults for this will be play and add all tracks will be ticked. The default jump to option will also be changed to be none.

This should then put the basic use cases back to how it was in 1.1.

I would really like some people to try this out and let me know if this helps. Please backup the existing files and copy them to the appropriate place

Configuration.exe to
    C:\Program Files [(x86)]\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
    windowsplugins.dll to
    C:\Program Files [(x86)]\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\plugins\Windows
    string_en.xml to
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\language (vista/win7 anyway)

Attachments

• music_1.2.zip
      1.6 MB

nip.nyborg

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Jamerson-uk
    I tried your files, but got an error-message when trying to start configuration, something about a wrong version.
    I am running SVN 1.1.7 27941 maybe that why.

I have set the playlist behavior to playmode, but the playlist still pops up when I play a track, am I missing something.
    If this would be fixed, everything would be fine for me. (and save a lot of wear on my back-button).

Thanks for all your work.

nip.nyborg

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Jamerson-uk
    I tried your patch, and it seems to work great, as you said is like in 1.1. (Hope it will go to SVN soon).

Thanks

Another thing regarding My Music, (and maybe this is not your area). But it would be great if it
    somehow was possible to add shortcut to My Lyrics, inside My Music maybe in sidebar.

One more thing, small suggestion
    If I pres OK, and have OK=Queue, and Jump on "play now" to none, it would be nice to get some sort of confirmation to the
    key-pres. Maybe a small quick message ”added to playlist” or something.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Another thing regarding My Music, (and maybe this is not your area). But it would be great if it
    somehow was possible to add shortcut to My Lyrics, inside My Music maybe in sidebar.
    This is a skin issue and can be done in any skin

One more thing, small suggestion
    If I pres OK, and have OK=Queue, and Jump on "play now" to none, it would be nice to get some sort of confirmation to the
    key-pres. Maybe a small quick message ”added to playlist” or something.
    Indeed, this was something I wanted to do but there was a bug in MP that stopped me doing what I wanted. I think this has now been fixed so I will try again this weekend as I have a plan about this

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: re: Feedback on 1.2 music changes

OK there are some files attached I would like you to try.

This will not solve any of the playlist issues. What it will do is remove that annoying pop-up and there are some tweaks to the config. Now rather than modes basically you set the option for what you want the select/enter/ok button to do.

The defaults for this will be play and add all tracks will be ticked. The default jump to option will also be changed to be none.

This should then put the basic use cases back to how it was in 1.1.

I would really like some people to try this out and let me know if this helps. Please backup the existing files and copy them to the appropriate place

seems to do fine for "normal" playback! :)

If you could now also solve the "playlist" issue(s), it would be fine (like it was with 1.1): Kind of "exclusive mode" for playlist --> "normal" Playback keeps current playlist untouched (just with add/enque adds titels to it). :cool:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    OK first stab at things.

there is now a tick box on the playlist setting screen (the bottom one) which should basically give you what you had before (when unticked)

Now if this is going to make it into 1.2 proper this needs full and proper testing. I need as many people as possible to test this else things will stay just as they are now.

There are two very small tweaks I want to make. I will make it highlight the next item down after adding item to the playlist. I will also create an action so this can be done via remote with a single keypress.

This should now sort of give the best of both worlds. If you press select and play a track it will play but you will always be able to queue other tracks whilst this is playing (which is good for things like top tracks and similar tracks on now playing screen).

Anyway I will not say too much because if it is not intuitive after 10 minutes then it needs changing....

Attachments

• music_1.2_v2.zip
      1.6 MB
    • music_1.2_v2.patch
      92.1 KB

Users who are viewing this thread