Feedback on 1.2 music changes | Page 8

Discussion in 'Listen Music' started by jameson_uk, April 29, 2011.

1. Der_Bub
    • Premium Supporter

Der_Bub MP Donator

Ratings:
    +60 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

well, as far as I can see 2 Options/functions would be needed

• exclusive mode : Enter/OK button will not affect playlist --> tracks only added via action "add playlist"
    • continuous playback :
      • with Play & exclusive mode --> play continuously of the selcted "view"
      • with Playlist mode --> Play continuously Playlist (as it allready is...)

of course I want to do as less things as possible :D and as far as I remeber with 1.1 this behaviour/functions was possible

if these needs are to special I have to life with it (and as MP User I'm trained in beeing patient :rolleyes:)

But it's hard to say if these wishes are "exotic" or if many just notice this discussion and agree with it, too.

Maybe Jamason can collect some of the Ideas, review them (of practicability and complexity) and make a poll?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeditrav

Jeditrav Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand

What 'issues' were there in v1.1? It seemed fine to me. Not only did it work, but it was intuitive - once I had pointed out to people that pressing the 'info' button on my remote brought up the context menu, everyone was able to just pick it up and use it to browse and play music, create playlists - there was never any trouble. It is no longer 'intuitive' - people are browsing around music using the arrow buttons on the remote and then the intuitive thing to do is press 'ok' to either 'enter' an album or to 'play' a track depending on what was selected. Now people are having to press 'ok' for one thing, 'play' for another, 'record' to add to playlist but not the playlist that's currently playing (???) ... pop-ups everywhere asking if I want to clear the current playlist ... different 'modes' ...

I don't think these wishes are exotic, it's how it always used to work. I'm not interested in arguments like 'that's how a CD player works' - this is a media centre, surely it can be 'more' than just a CD player.

Music is no fun anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jameson_uk
    • Premium Supporter

jameson_uk Retired Team Member

Data Warehousing Consultant
    Ratings:
    +2,405 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs

Also go back an try play and ok... they do very different things in 1.1. In 1.2 the default is actually to make play and ok do exactly the same to avoid this confusion. By default both buttons now do the same thing and play the selected item (this is then consistent with other bits of MP where say you click on a recording and it will be that recording that plays)

The other thing that was missing was basic functionality for a "now playlist" list .
    There was no way (under most circumstances) to actually tell what track would play the one after next.
    So if you played a CD on autoplay you would not be able to actually see the track listing without then browsing through to shares view and into the CD folder
    There are many links to "current playlist" in MP but these linked to something which did not bare any relevance to what is playing (or will play)
    There was no way to actually queue tracks when already playing something (if play was started with ok)
    The jump on play option was not consistent

Also the context menu is still there so I am not sure what your point is about that.

I am looking to make a slight change (names only not in function) so that the "playlist" mode is renamed "queue" mode and that the "add to playlist" context menu item is renamed "queue item". Then I will implement proper playlist support at a later date.

Yes the pop up is a pain. This was to prevent people moaning that a playlist they had been creating had been wiped without warning because they stopped playback to answer the phone or something. I will look at this again

5. emphatic
    • Team MediaPortal

emphatic Design Group

Surface treatment
    Ratings:
    +1,083 / 2
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Show System Specs
    Will we ever be able to write custom info grabbers and use with My Music? I want to use this: API Documentation (or at least have it selectable as an option).

Emph

6. jameson_uk
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,405 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I am looking at the whole scraping for 1.3. last.fm is certainly something I will use but last time I looked at discogs I thought the data was actually pretty bad??

There is certainly nothing to stop someone writing a grabber in the meantime (you are stuck with the AMG fields though)

7. cruse
    • Premium Supporter

cruse MP Donator

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

That's the beauty of MP, you wait a while and everything blossoms :)

I'm actually with you in every point, the more options and shortcuts there are the better. Let's collect those! But we have to keep in mind that the ones participating in this discussion and voicing their opinion are more likely experienced users.

I think a quick and temporary workaround to satisfy most of the user's individual playing needs would be to make the default actions for both "Play" and "Select/OK" configurable via MP configuration.

8. Harley
    • Premium Supporter

Harley Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +999 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    sorry to say, but i personal do not like the changes on musicsection of 1.2.
    The old behavior of musicsection (1.1) was much intuitiver then one we have now.
    If you click on a song, mp should play it and after that it should play the next in the folder,
    thats all, nothing to add to playlist or anything else. If i will add something to a playlist we
    should us the "add to playlist" button on remote control or the "y" button on keyboard, like it was before.

Greetings Harley

• Like Like x 1
  9. nip.nyborg

nip.nyborg Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Home Country:
    Denmark Denmark
    Show System Specs
    Hi
    I have to agree with Harly, I also liked the old one better.
    And my Girlfriend definitely does.
    I think that by default, it should be as simple as possible to select/play music, and if you want something more, it can be selected/added from a sub-menu.

10. jameson_uk
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,405 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    The default options still do this, other than the jump to option there is no change to 1.1. pressing play or ok on a track will start playback on that track and then play through the rest in that folder. If the screen is changing to the playlist screen then this is the "jump to" setting in config which can be changed. If it does not do this then check that play mode is selected and the add all option is ticked

11. jameson_uk
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,405 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I am struggling on this one... yes there are some changes around playlists and I understand this has caused some frustration but selecting music to play is not really any different to 1.1.

In 1.1 Play and OK did different things, this has been changed in 1.2 so they both do the same thing by default. Pressing ok on a track (with default options) is no different to what happened in 1.1 (it starts playback on that track and then plays through the other files in that folder). Play now matches this.

I can not see why this is any more or less intuitive when it is doing the same thing?

Is this all down the jump to option which might be taking you to the playlist screen when you start playing something?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!