Feedback on 1.2 music changes (1 Viewer)

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

I'm using the last plugin, which enables "continous Playback from a single Track on" (with shared view).

Case (from the weekend :D):

• Made a playlist for BBQ later in the evening
    • want to listen some other music now --> start plalyback with the modded play button/action
    • the first song of the "now" music is added to playlist (and the "later" is lost)

expected/wish: Modded play function starts continous playback without clearing/changing the playlist

Of course I could save the "BBQ playlist", but actually it's also meant to be only for "single use" (but later...) ...

Ok?

OK and this is the whole issue of having many different use cases and very few remote control buttons ;)

The best solution here would probably have been save the playlist as you say and then delete it when you were done. The other option was to use the plugin to play the music you wanted to without changing the playlist.

The other (first plugin) would have done this by adding tracks to the playlist in the background and would not have been affected when you started playing music normally.

I will improve playlists in 1.3 but it is quite difficult to get all of these different use cases to work with very few remote buttons whilst still actually being usable.

Ideas on how to do this (without re-introducing the issues that were in 1.1) appreciated...

well, as far as I can see 2 Options/functions would be needed

• exclusive mode : Enter/OK button will not affect playlist --> tracks only added via action "add playlist"
    • continuous playback :
      • with Play & exclusive mode --> play continuously of the selcted "view"
      • with Playlist mode --> Play continuously Playlist (as it allready is...)

Of course I could save the "BBQ playlist", but actually it's also meant to be only for "single use" (but later...) ...

So why not delete the BBQ playlist after single use?

The clearing of the playlist for currently playing items is pretty much in line with any hard- or software player like winamp. Any other behavior would confuse the majority of users in my opinion.

You could request a button in context menu "Play Now w/o changing Playlist", or even request a feature to add/remove those options via MP configuration. But don't forget those are special needs ("Extrawurst" to stay in BBQ picture) and not mainstream :)

of course I want to do as less things as possible :D and as far as I remeber with 1.1 this behaviour/functions was possible

if these needs are to special I have to life with it (and as MP User I'm trained in beeing patient :rolleyes:)

But it's hard to say if these wishes are "exotic" or if many just notice this discussion and agree with it, too.

Maybe Jamason can collect some of the Ideas, review them (of practicability and complexity) and make a poll?

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Ideas on how to do this (without re-introducing the issues that were in 1.1) appreciated...

What 'issues' were there in v1.1? It seemed fine to me. Not only did it work, but it was intuitive - once I had pointed out to people that pressing the 'info' button on my remote brought up the context menu, everyone was able to just pick it up and use it to browse and play music, create playlists - there was never any trouble. It is no longer 'intuitive' - people are browsing around music using the arrow buttons on the remote and then the intuitive thing to do is press 'ok' to either 'enter' an album or to 'play' a track depending on what was selected. Now people are having to press 'ok' for one thing, 'play' for another, 'record' to add to playlist but not the playlist that's currently playing (???) ... pop-ups everywhere asking if I want to clear the current playlist ... different 'modes' ...

But it's hard to say if these wishes are "exotic" or if many just notice this discussion and agree with it, too.

I don't think these wishes are exotic, it's how it always used to work. I'm not interested in arguments like 'that's how a CD player works' - this is a media centre, surely it can be 'more' than just a CD player.

Music is no fun anymore.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

What 'issues' were there in v1.1? It seemed fine to me. Not only did it work, but it was intuitive - once I had pointed out to people that pressing the 'info' button on my remote brought up the context menu, everyone was able to just pick it up and use it to browse and play music, create playlists - there was never any trouble. It is no longer 'intuitive' - people are browsing around music using the arrow buttons on the remote and then the intuitive thing to do is press 'ok' to either 'enter' an album or to 'play' a track depending on what was selected. Now people are having to press 'ok' for one thing, 'play' for another, 'record' to add to playlist but not the playlist that's currently playing (???) ...

Also go back an try play and ok... they do very different things in 1.1. In 1.2 the default is actually to make play and ok do exactly the same to avoid this confusion. By default both buttons now do the same thing and play the selected item (this is then consistent with other bits of MP where say you click on a recording and it will be that recording that plays)

The other thing that was missing was basic functionality for a "now playlist" list .
    There was no way (under most circumstances) to actually tell what track would play the one after next.
    So if you played a CD on autoplay you would not be able to actually see the track listing without then browsing through to shares view and into the CD folder
    There are many links to "current playlist" in MP but these linked to something which did not bare any relevance to what is playing (or will play)
    There was no way to actually queue tracks when already playing something (if play was started with ok)
    The jump on play option was not consistent

Also the context menu is still there so I am not sure what your point is about that.

I am looking to make a slight change (names only not in function) so that the "playlist" mode is renamed "queue" mode and that the "add to playlist" context menu item is renamed "queue item". Then I will implement proper playlist support at a later date.

pop-ups everywhere asking if I want to clear the current playlist ... different 'modes' ...
    Yes the pop up is a pain. This was to prevent people moaning that a playlist they had been creating had been wiped without warning because they stopped playback to answer the phone or something. I will look at this again

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Will we ever be able to write custom info grabbers and use with My Music? I want to use this: API Documentation (or at least have it selectable as an option).

Emph

I am looking at the whole scraping for 1.3. last.fm is certainly something I will use but last time I looked at discogs I thought the data was actually pretty bad??

There is certainly nothing to stop someone writing a grabber in the meantime (you are stuck with the AMG fields though)

cruse

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Feedack on 1.2 music changes

of course I want to do as less things as possible :D and as far as I remeber with 1.1 this behaviour/functions was possible

if these needs are to special I have to life with it (and as MP User I'm trained in beeing patient :rolleyes:)

Maybe Jamason can collect some of the Ideas, review them (of practicability and complexity) and make a poll?

That's the beauty of MP, you wait a while and everything blossoms :)

I'm actually with you in every point, the more options and shortcuts there are the better. Let's collect those! But we have to keep in mind that the ones participating in this discussion and voicing their opinion are more likely experienced users.

I think a quick and temporary workaround to satisfy most of the user's individual playing needs would be to make the default actions for both "Play" and "Select/OK" configurable via MP configuration.

Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    sorry to say, but i personal do not like the changes on musicsection of 1.2.
    The old behavior of musicsection (1.1) was much intuitiver then one we have now.
    If you click on a song, mp should play it and after that it should play the next in the folder,
    thats all, nothing to add to playlist or anything else. If i will add something to a playlist we
    should us the "add to playlist" button on remote control or the "y" button on keyboard, like it was before.

Greetings Harley

nip.nyborg

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi
    I have to agree with Harly, I also liked the old one better.
    And my Girlfriend definitely does.
    I think that by default, it should be as simple as possible to select/play music, and if you want something more, it can be selected/added from a sub-menu.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Hi,
    sorry to say, but i personal do not like the changes on musicsection of 1.2.
    The old behavior of musicsection (1.1) was much intuitiver then one we have now.
    If you click on a song, mp should play it and after that it should play the next in the folder,
    thats all, nothing to add to playlist or anything else. If i will add something to a playlist we
    should us the "add to playlist" button on remote control or the "y" button on keyboard, like it was before.

Greetings Harley

The default options still do this, other than the jump to option there is no change to 1.1. pressing play or ok on a track will start playback on that track and then play through the rest in that folder. If the screen is changing to the playlist screen then this is the "jump to" setting in config which can be changed. If it does not do this then check that play mode is selected and the add all option is ticked

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I think that by default, it should be as simple as possible to select/play music, and if you want something more, it can be selected/added from a sub-menu.
    I am struggling on this one... yes there are some changes around playlists and I understand this has caused some frustration but selecting music to play is not really any different to 1.1.

In 1.1 Play and OK did different things, this has been changed in 1.2 so they both do the same thing by default. Pressing ok on a track (with default options) is no different to what happened in 1.1 (it starts playback on that track and then plays through the other files in that folder). Play now matches this.

I can not see why this is any more or less intuitive when it is doing the same thing?

Is this all down the jump to option which might be taking you to the playlist screen when you start playing something?

Users who are viewing this thread