First configuration...crash during "adding filter section" (3 Viewers)

mtp3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi @ all,

First...sry for my bad english^^.

I installed Mediaportal 1.1.3 on my Windows Server 2008 R2 together with SAF 6. After installing SAF 6 I get the same error by Mediaportal Configuration.
    Deleting the bad Codec wih Filmerit have been crashing my System, exactly like jeremfg it discribs.

Now I have installed Win 2k8R2 new and test it again with the same effect. Luckily i have an backup of the registry^^

Looking forward of an idea how to fix the problem.

What about posting Filmerit and SAF6 LOGs?
    Looks like it is server only issue.

I also ran into this problem a while back when setting up server 2008 r2 to run mediaportal. I eventually got it to work, but could not use SAF. It would cause all kinds of problems and require a restore. (fortunately, I was testing on a vhd test system, so I did not have to start from scratch every time it went wrong).

From what I remember this is what i had to do to get everything working ...

1. Do not install SAF - this seems to cause unfixable problems on Server 2008 r2.
    2. Install all of the aero type roles and features
    3. Install the microsoft hotfix and codecs for h264 (even if you do not use the microsoft codecs, it fixed a stuttering problem)
    4. Install ffdshow and LAV filters - use the ones you want.
    5. in the user account, change performance settings to favor programs, not background processes
    6. there is a registry value which specifies the percent of cpu that is dedicated to background processes. Set this to 20 (decimal)
    7. for some xvid videos, there is sometimes stuttering (with no dropped frames - the lav codec is the word offender, ffdshow is better, and the microsoft seems to eliminate the problem all together.

On my other systems, I use SAF and really like it a lot. I would use it on server 2008 r3 if it did not break it. I would be happy to help debug the problem if there is interest in getting SAF to work on sever 2008 r2.

mtp

mtp3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    1. Do not install SAF - this seems to cause unfixable problems on Server 2008 r2.

If you can provide MePo and SAF LOGs, i can take a look.

The configuration should be able to catch internal errors, not just crash :/

I no longer have the VHD where I tried to install SAF, so I do not have the logs. However, for the benefit of the community, I could create a new VHD and reinstall SAF and send the logs without too much trouble. Is it worth the effort?

BTW, was not the issue already fixed in MePo 1.2.0?

I was/am using MePo 1.2.3 I think the issue is actually related to the registering of filters as after installing SAF (on the server), no directshow works.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    I was/am using MePo 1.2.3 I think the issue is actually related to the registering of filters as after installing SAF (on the server), no directshow works.

Well, if SAF fail to register some filters, you wont be able to use them outsibe MePo too. So if you can try plaback in Graphstudio, it will be good.

mtp3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland

Well, if SAF fail to register some filters, you wont be able to use them outsibe MePo too. So if you can try plaback in Graphstudio, it will be good.

Exactly - I will rebuild the VHD and try to recreate for you. I will do it with the latest SAF

mtp3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I could not reproduce ... Although many parts have changed since the original problem (my base server package is now sp1, I used the latest SAF 6.1.6) and everything now works with SAF

Users who are viewing this thread