Freecom USB DVB-T compatibility (1 Viewer)

djepi

October 31, 2005
The device is excellent but there are no BCD drivers at present but it looks like we won't have to wait too long for them... I just got this from Freecom support:

Hi,

Our developers are working on both 64bit and MediaCentre drivers for this.
Release estimates are approx 4 weeks at the moment.

djepi

October 31, 2005
I've managed to get this working...

1) Download the beta YAKUMO driver (which uses the same hardware as the Freecom) from here:

http://www.yakumo.de/service/?pid=555&aid=257&ag=23&back=1

2) Update your drivers in Windows Device Manager to these.

3) Reboot

4) Add the following code to the CaptureCardDefinitions.xml located in c:\Program files\Team MediaPortal

<capturecard commercialname="Freecom USB DVB-T" capturename="Digital TV Device Capture" devid="vid_14aa&amp;pid_0221&amp;mi_00">
<capabilities tv="true" radio="true" mpeg2="true" mce="false" sw="true" bda="true"></capabilities>
<tv>
<interface cat="capture" video="2" audio="3" mpeg2="1" sectionsandtables="5"></interface>
<filters>
<filter cat="networkprovider" name="Microsoft DVBT Network Provider" checkdevice="false"></filter>
<filter cat="tunerdevice" name="Digital TV Receiver" checkdevice="true"></filter>
<filter cat="capture" name="Digital TV Device Capture" checkdevice="true"></filter>
</filters>
<connections>
<connection sourcefilter="networkprovider" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="tunerdevice" sinkpin="0"></connection>
<connection sourcefilter="tunerdevice" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="capture" sinkpin="0"></connection>
</connections>
</tv>
</capturecard>

5) Save the file

Sorted....

Odie

Portal Member
November 29, 2005
Scotland, U.K
djepi: This did not seem to work for me, the driver updated fine, but even after a reset, MediaPortal just said something along the lines of "Could not create graph" when trying to add the Freecom card via the settings menu. I made the changes to CaptureCardDefinitions.xml file.

I downloaded MediaPortal v0.1.3.0, any ideas why it isn't working?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Odie

Portal Member
November 29, 2005
Scotland, U.K
Also, I recieved this reply from Freecom's UK support when asking about the availability of BDA drivers:

Hi

No info on BDA drivers at present sorry (

When replying in all future correspondence please include the entire
history of the discussion thread in order to help us provide you with the
most efficient support.

Regards

Technical Support
Direct Line: 01423 704715
Fax: 01423 704759
Email: supportuk@freecom.com
Computer Connections Int. Ltd
Part of the Freecom Technologies Group
Web: http://www.freecom.com

Kut-Kreator

November 29, 2005
I tried the above last night and can confirm, After updating the drivers from yakumo and adding the text to the config file, It does work ok, Apart from no epg data. But saying that yakumo's player does give epg data so you can use that as a player too, And its better than the defauly freecom one.

I was using Media Portal 0.2.0.0 RC1

That said, Does anyone know any software which allows use of the "red button" interactive features on a pc ??

Odie

Portal Member
November 29, 2005
Scotland, U.K
I've just removed v0.1.3.0 and installed v0.2.0 RC1 but I still get the error "Unable to create graph for this device!" when I click the button to add the capture card.

Also the Yakumo TV Viewer seems to find the device, but does not find any channels when I do a scan. The light on the Freecom stick sometimes goes green from orange during the scanning.

Anyone have any ideas on where I might be going wrong? Or could someone please give me some step-by-step instructions as to how exactly you installed the Yakumo drivers.

I'm fairly sure I did it correctly: went into Device Manager, selected the device under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers", clicked on "Update Driver" and then selected the folder containing the two INF files from Yakumo. It then seems to install the drivers along with some Microsoft BDM ones and the device is now renamed.

Kut-Kreator

November 29, 2005
If the yakumo viewer program finds the device then I would have thought that the drivers are installed ok.

But you say when scanning the led on the unit goes from orange to green, It goes green and should stay solid green when its locked onto a signal, Have you had this working using the freecom software? I had to invest in a loft aerial to get a signal on mine, But i'm 15 miles away from the transmitter and should not be able to receive freeview in this area at all !!

As for the messsage you get with the Media Portal software, when you copied / pasted the above driver text, I'm assuming you didn't just stick it at the bottom of the file ?

You need to put it between the </capturecard> line
and the </capturecards> line at the bottom of the CaptureCardDefinitions.xml file.

Odie

Portal Member
November 29, 2005
Scotland, U.K
Thanks for the reply Kut-Kreator.

Kut-Kreator said:
If the yakumo viewer program finds the device then I would have thought that the drivers are installed ok.

Well, it certainly seems to have the device listed in the drop-down menu in the scanning screen.

Kut-Kreator said:
But you say when scanning the led on the unit goes from orange to green, It goes green and should stay solid green when its locked onto a signal, Have you had this working using the freecom software?

Yes, when I roll back the driver to the freecom-supplied one it works perfectly with the Freecom software and when watching a channel the light is solid green, I am using a roof aerial.

Kut-Kreator said:
As for the messsage you get with the Media Portal software, when you copied / pasted the above driver text, I'm assuming you didn't just stick it at the bottom of the file ?

You need to put it between the </capturecard> line
and the </capturecards> line at the bottom of the CaptureCardDefinitions.xml file.

Yes, I made sure that I pasted it within the correct nested tags.

Users who are viewing this thread