Is this guy selling your hard work? (1 Viewer)

M

mrdooby

jazZman said:
I emailed the bidders, I thought they might like to know what they were buying..... :D

lol cool. I wonder if we should all bid outrageous amounts to win, but don't pay and wait until ebay kill the deals anyway :lol:

Aparently it comes on 2 CD's and quote:

Microsoft Windows XP Media Portal Edition 2005 - Full Version

This is the Full Version Software. It is not a trial, academic, upgrade or NFR copy. The software is BRAND NEW and has never been activated, used, or duplicated.

>>pull the otherone!

jazZman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 13, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    actually I thought that a short note to Microsoft would be more appropriate. I'm sure that they would love to know that someone is using their name to sell open source software.

It might give some of those lawyers they have piled up in the corner somthing to do :D

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    jazzman, that idea was mentioned but Im not sure how far it went. Would be good if it was followed through, that ebayer wouldnt last long with M$ muscle strength.

M

mrdooby

oh man some of the 'deals' are going for 60 bucks auction - jeez a lot of folks are being conned eh?

good luck!

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I would start here http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx they list free call numbers for each country to report piracy of MS products and this would be a very similar thing.
    At the very least they would know who to contact.

Reading the user feedback is strange, they all love the application (some seem to have bought Linux disk recovery tools though) but no one seems to have found the free version of what they bought. I'd love to see that feedback if they did.
    Also, I wonder just what he put on two whole CD's? Even with all the plugins ever created it would still be less that 200Mb (most of that is Apache anyway).

jazZman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 13, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Copy of email to Microsoft
    Subject: Breach of trademark / copyright
    to : piracy@microsoft.com

Hi there,
    While surfing Ebay I came across the following online store (url):
    http://stores.ebay.ca/CytechNet_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQdptZ0QQftidZ2QQsojsZ0QQtZkm

This seller purports to be selling a Microsoft product called :Windows XP Media Portal Edition Center 2005

I believe this to be misleading as the software shown (in the screenshots) is an open source project called Media Portal ( http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/ ) which, while runs on the Windows XP platform, is not a Microsoft product.

It appears that this seller has set out to deliberately misrepresent the goods for sale and is trading upon the name of Microsoft to boost his sales.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread