i thinks would be better if keyboard shortcut they were case insensitive

x = X

bye

giovifree

Portal Member
February 7, 2005
Home Country
Italy Italy
now that i am waiting for finish my homemade htpc case, i am downloading, reading and testing most that i can on my desktop pc and two days ago I was driving crazy because I did not succeed to make to work my remote with girder and sblive plugin then i found on a quick reference guide that some key are indicated in upper case like X or B but in internal keyboard shortcut configuration page they was indicated in low case x or b i have changed it in girder and every thing has gone OK

gds

Portal Pro
October 4, 2004
Italy
I agree that keyboard input should be case insensitive, since it can lead to errors which normal users (who, finally, are the intended audience for mp) may find difficult to track down. Just think if you had to explain to all of your friends that you convinced to try mp why keyboard input stops working apparently for no reason...
And, by the way, while Unixes (like Linux, BSD, etc) are case sensitive, DOS is not, so the user, even when told mp works this way, will find it counter-intuitive.
GDS

A

Anonymous

I think that in the end "normal" users will never use a keyboard to look at pictures / watch tv / watch movie / listen to music etc.
They will be using a remote :)

giovifree

Portal Member
February 7, 2005
Home Country
Italy Italy
no problem, but i lost some time for this little thing during girder config

i don't know what mean change this on source files but if it is simple i think is better make all case insensitive.

p.s. it would go well also all lower case or all upper case......... to follow one standard

M

MadAxeMan

I'd be really surprised that anyone non-technical will be using MP with anything but a remote - in which case surely those that are using a keyboard know when they have the capslock on or are holding down the shift key?

Having said that, I'm not sure what the issue is, there seem to be enough case insensitive keys to go around at this point.

jf2020

Portal Member
January 9, 2005
corl said:
I think that in the end "normal" users will never use a keyboard to look at pictures / watch tv / watch movie / listen to music etc.
They will be using a remote :)

corl I don't feel like an 'abnormal' user but I use a keyboard all the time instead of a remote and actually I'm very happy with this choice!

How the normal user uses My Messenger or surf the web without a keyboard?

BTW I bought a very cheap and nice wireless keyboard at Newegg that also has a small joystick. I think it is perfect for an HTPC as it is small, very easy to handle (there are two bumps below that make it easy to take in the hands) and it does everything!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=23-107-114&depa=0

Users who are viewing this thread