[solved] (Kodi issue) MCE Remote not working in 1.13pre. Worked fine in 1.12 (2 Viewers)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I have the same remote and IR :)
    Microsoft Model : 1039 for the remote

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @FrankBert good news there is nothing wrong with your IR device and it should work just fine with our HID handler.
    @edterbak and I'm guessing many others have the exact same device and it works just fine for them.

Now the bad news we are still trying to figure out what's so specific with your system that prevents that device to function the way it should.
    I'm seeing some suspicious things happening in your HID device list.
    Here are some of the questions I'm asking myself:
    Why are those VID_04F3 appearing when your remove your IR receiver?
    What is that very suspicious Mts.HID.VIRTUAL thing?

Can you try removing every USB devices including mouse and keyboard you may have plug on that PC and then test your IR receiver again.
    I know it feels a bit like walking without your legs but I'm sure you'll find a way :)
    Alternatively you could try your IR receiver on another PC too to validate that it works.
    Right now I'm thinking one of your other devices is interfering with your IR receiver.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What is that very suspicious Mts.HID.VIRTUAL thing?
    It's a virtual HID driver installed by tuner cards that use the "Mantis" PCI bridge chipset such as:
    • TechniSat SkyStar HD2
    • TerraTec Cinergy S2 PCI HD [CI]
    • Twinhan/AzureWave AD SP400 CI
    • Twinhan/AzureWave AD CP400
    • TerraTec Cinergy C PCI HD [CI]
    The driver enables the tuner's remote control key-presses to be received via the HID sub-system.

Right now I'm thinking one of your other devices is interfering with your IR receiver.
    Yes, it could be the afore-mentioned virtual HID driver... but there are other tuners that add their remote control support using the same strategy. The HID handler needs to be able to handle this.

Unplugging every USB device won't help to get rid of the virtual HID driver. For that I think the driver may have to be fully uninstalled.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Come to think of it.
    I Noticed only one issue currently.
    During playback, the MENU button doesnt respond, forcing me to watch the entire dvd comercial crap in front of the actual movie.

Here is a screenshot of my HID demo screen
    HID demo - devices.jpg

I have an azure wave / Mantis HID as well

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    During playback, the MENU button doesnt respond, forcing me to watch the entire dvd comercial crap in front of the actual movie.
    Are you sure the commercial stuff isn't unskippable? Some DVDs are authored to be that way. They want you to know how bad piracy is. ;)

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Are you sure the commercial stuff isn't unskippable? Some DVDs are authored to be that way. They want you to know how bad piracy is. ;)
    Sure to a certain extend.
    It used to work when I press MENU I would see the root menu straight away. Now in some cases this doesnt work. Maybe propper implementation now huh :) But Ill test a bit more focused on that.
    Als a thing that could cloud this behaviour. Recently I upgraded the harmony software and changed some bits here and there. Got it working again, but I havent tested with actual MCE remote. Something tells me this might be a good idea. :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    :)
    I notice you have the virtual Mantis HID device as well, so I think anything you can test would be useful... even if it might not be a good idea.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OH, sorry..
    If you need me to test anything in particular, just ask

Well I'm not sure what needs testing to be honest.
    We thought that Mantis device could be our problem but now we see you have one too and it works for you.
    Could you try unplugging your IR receiver refreshing the device list and taking screenshot like @FrankBert did?

@mm1352000 I was looking through the forums for an older conversation between you and me, this must have been when I started working on the HID implementation. I could not find it.
    I remember you provided me a link to some source code of yours implementing an HID handler for some TV card. That helped me a great deal back then and set me on the path to our current implementation. However I vaguely recall you were using the Usage Collection 0x0089 rather than the usual 0x0088 for some reason. I wonder if Frank's messages could be coming though the 0x0089 collection rather than through 0x0088 for whatever reason. From the specs point of view I'm not sure what's the difference between 88 and 89, I know they have different IR signals for Desktop and Laptop and I somehow always keep that I mind but I don't think that's what it is there. Anyway, if you have that link to your source code I would like to take a look at it again.

@FrankBert I stand by my earlier analysis, something in your system is intercepting those messages. It could be MP Tray and MP using earlier so called 'MCE' implementation, it could be some TV server plugin, it could be other USB and non USB HID device or any drivers that come with them. Therefore any testing you could do on your side removing or disabling devices from the Device Manager and testing if it fixes HID demo would be most welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom