DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Very exiting news!!!

So how is the system working performance-wise? How long are the delays and how much cpu does this take (if not all ;))? Have you tried it on hdtv channels? Is this real smoothstreaming with quality-changing when bandwidth drops? Have you tried it with a flash/html5 player?

Man lots of questions... ;)

:D a bunch for all your work!

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Performance is OK, my CPU runs at 30%, it does take 25-30 sec for the SmoothStreaming module to buffer, prepare the stream and manifests though. This initial version will just transcode at one video bitrate but adding other streams should just require additional ffmpeg parameters in config.xml (using the -newvideo parameter).

I haven't tried it with Flash/Html5 or Silverlight yet.

I have found that the stream stops on my iphone now and again at different intervals, I don't know if its a PC problem or wireless problem or iPhone problem, the tuner remains tuned in and transcoding continues so I can just reattach to the stream. We'll just have to see what others experience.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    I tested over 3G this morning and got the audio stream only which is what you'd expect with an Adaptive stream bearing in mind I have only a 400kbps upstream ASDL. I also downloaded Expression 4 this morning to try to knock up a quick Silverlight player.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    Another update....streaming an HD channel pushed my ffmpeg process up to 50-60% The stream was still fine though. I gave the Smooth Streaming devs access to my iPiMP install to have a look and they were impressed :D

After looking through my Apache access logs, we think we've found a bug that may lead to the drop outs and they are working on fixing that but that fixed version won't be ready for a while as there are other changes going on too.

So in the meantime I will release iPiMP 5.0.0 tomorrow morning. I have to compile tonight for MP 1.0.2 and MP 1.1.0 RC4, there's also a breaking change in MP version which means that browsing schedules in iPiMP 1.0.2 won't work - all the more reason to upgrade ;)

Lolento

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi Cheezey,

Can the live streaming be applied to the recorded TV and movie files (of different formats)?

Khurram

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Pakistan Pakistan
    I got really excited when I that you posted the new version. But I cannot get live streaming to work :confused: Tapping "Watch" gives this error:
    Code:
    The system cannot find the file specified

Server stack trace: at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess
    (ProcessStartInfo startInfo) at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start() at 
    uWiMP.TVServer.MPWebServices.EncoderWrapper.StartProcess(String input) at 
    uWiMP.TVServer.MPWebServices.EncoderWrapper.StartPipe() at 
    uWiMP.TVServer.MPWebServices.EncoderWrapper..ctor(Stream mediaStream, 
    EncoderConfig encCfg) at Website.uWiMP.TVServer.Streamer.Stream
    (MediaType mediatype, Int32 id) in D:\Dev\vs2008\MediaPortal Universal Web 
    Interface\Website\Code\TVServer\Streamer.vb:line 148 at Website
    .uWiMP.TVServer.Streamer.ExecuteAsyncTask() in D:\Dev
    \vs2008\MediaPortal Universal Web Interface\Website\Code\TVServer\Streamer.vb:line 79 at 
    System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage
    (IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, 
    Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs) at 
    System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink
    .PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, 
    Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, 
    Object[]& outArgs) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging
    .StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage (IMessage msg, 
    IMessageSink replySink) Exception rethrown at [0]: 
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper
    (Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase) at System.Runtime.Remoting
    .Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData) at 
    Website.uWiMP.TVServer.Streamer.AsyncTaskDelegate.EndInvoke
    (IAsyncResult DelegateAsyncResult) at Website.uWiMP.TVServer
    .Streamer.OnEnd(IAsyncResult ar) in 
    D:\Dev\vs2008\MediaPortal Universal Web Interface\Website
    \Code\TVServer\Streamer.vb:line 96 at 
    System.Web.UI.PageAsyncTask.CompleteTask(Boolean timedOut, Boolean 
    syncTimeoutCaller)
    Is it because the tv guide is empty? I actually copied the error message by opening the link in firefox, but I think the error message is the same.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    Have a look at c:\program files\ipimp\aspx\config.xml there is a path to ffmpeg in there. Can you confirm that is the correct path?

Khurram

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Pakistan Pakistan
    Have a look at c:\program files\ipimp\aspx\config.xml there is a path to ffmpeg in there. Can you confirm that is the correct path?
    Thanks for the reply. Config.xml contents
    <appconfig>
    <transcoders>
    <transcoder name="SmoothStream" usetranscoding="1" filename="&quot;##FFMPEGPATH##\ffmpeg.exe&quot;" args="-i - -threads 0 -re -vcodec libx264 -fpre &quot;##FFMPEGPATH##/ffpresets/libx264-iPiMP.ffpreset&quot; -b 256k -s 420x272 -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ab 64k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -async 2 http://##LISTEN##/SmoothStream/live.ism?stream_id=live-256-64k.ismv" inputmethod="2" outputmethod="4" />
    </transcoders>
    </appconfig>
    I have no idea what ##FFMPEGPATH## means ;) My windows drive is G, so ffmpeg.exe is in G:\Program Files....

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply. Config.xml contents
    <appconfig>
    <transcoders>
    <transcoder name="SmoothStream" usetranscoding="1" filename="&quot;##FFMPEGPATH##\ffmpeg.exe&quot;" args="-i - -threads 0 -re -vcodec libx264 -fpre &quot;##FFMPEGPATH##/ffpresets/libx264-iPiMP.ffpreset&quot; -b 256k -s 420x272 -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ab 64k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -async 2 http://##LISTEN##/SmoothStream/live.ism?stream_id=live-256-64k.ismv" inputmethod="2" outputmethod="4" />
    </transcoders>
    </appconfig>
    I have no idea what ##FFMPEGPATH## means ;) My windows drive is G, so ffmpeg.exe is in G:\Program Files....

The installer should replace ##FFMPEGPATH## with - well the path to ffmpeg ;) Usually c:\program files\ipimp\utilities\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe

Similarly the installer should replace ##LISTEN## with the IP: Port that the iPiMP app is listening on. e.g. 127.0.0.1:80

If I remember correctly you're the iPiMP user that does an 'existing Apache install' - I guess in all the excitment I didn't put these changes in for that type of install. I'll fix that for the next version. In the meantime though replace those ##PLACEHOLDERS## manually.

Users who are viewing this thread