MP3 pro (1 Viewer)

ariyanto

Portal Member
November 8, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all

could you tell me if MP can play MP3 pro files I know it plays MP3 but when a MP3 pro file is played it can either play normal MP3 or mp3 pro part i have codecs installed and just wonder if it would pick these up as well

thanks

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    no, i'm afraid not.
    At least not with BASS. There is no plugin allowing that.

Maybe there are DShow filters out, which can do it, but i don't know of any.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah, afaik Thomson offers a dshow filter - you'd have to use the internal player then.

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Winamp Plugin

Plugin Features:
    • Play back mp3PRO files and streams on your Winamp player.

Plugin Data:
    • for Nullsoft's Winamp
    • tested on Winamp Versions 2.75 and 2.76. Please note: due to changes in the Winamp 3.0 interface the mp3PPRO plugin does not work with Winamp 3.0.
    • NEW Plugin Version: 1.2
    • Filesize: 225 KB

free download

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i don't know how the guys with the Winamp plugin solved the issue, but this is what i know.

So i doubt that any Open Source project has the ability to use mp3Pro.

The BASS people even will release a new version in the near future, which will not include it's own mp3 decoder anymore, to get around licensing issue.
    with this version the underlying Windows MP3 decoder, for which Microsoft paid the license for will be used.
    Knowing that, it's for sure that BASS will never support mp3pro.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, I'm already used to all kind of questions like "why can't MP do this?". But in fact we should focus on our goal and what MP is. MP3pro was invented for better quality at bitrates around 64k or even lower. In times of 750 GB HDDs I fail to see why a Home Theater should rely on those files ;)

reagan+carter

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    Nantes, FR
    as a side note, the winamp plugin was made by a person from thomson and released as a 'promotional' gift. no need to waste time and ask them free-to-use mp3pro libraries/API for noncommercial projects, they don't want to. full stop.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    a workaround would be to rename those files with a dedicated extension like e.g. 3pr. Then you could enable the external winamp plugin to be used with that file type only.

Users who are viewing this thread