Portal Pro
January 8, 2006
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
hello,

i'm searchung for a flat screen!
any pro&contra between lcd and plasma?
which kind of flat screen do you prefer?

every know-how would be fine!

TIA

trosty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 6, 2004
    Zurich/Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    aggi said:
    any pro&contra between lcd and plasma?
    which kind of flat screen do you prefer?

You can find lots of info in German about Plasma/LCD @ http://www.hifi-regler.de/plasma/plasma-tv-geraete.php

I prefer plasma because in my opinion the colors are brighter, the picture looks better and the bigger screen (42" - there are not so many big and cheap LCDs around) is better suited for my living room.

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Choose a lcd. Plasmas still struggle with burn-in. Plasms are not suitable for HTPC's.

I recommend a samsung LCD from their R-series.. ex: LE-40R72B.. 40" or LE-32R72B. Higly recommended.[/b]

trosty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 6, 2004
    Zurich/Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Lyxalig said:
    Choose a lcd. Plasmas still struggle with burn-in. Plasms are not suitable for HTPC's.

I have a plasma connected to my HTPC and it works great, I really like it. I do not have any problems with burn-in (although I had some config menus, other progs and the regular desktop on for some time). But at work on my lcd screen there is a bad burn in after I left it on during the weekend. I don't think there are big differences between plasmas and lcds anymore concerning burn in (in my opinion).

But besides plasma/lcd technics you should think about the other requirements you expect from the flat screen (resolution, space in the living room, pricelimits, etc) for your decision.

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2005
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    trosty said:
    But at work on my lcd screen there is a bad burn in after I left it on during the weekend. I don't think there are big differences between plasmas and lcds anymore concerning burn in (in my opinion).

Just display a fully red, green and blue image for a minute or so on the screen and the memeory effect from the lcd transistors will disappear.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would propose LCD, the higher res just looks better (to me). Most of it is a personal decision. Be aware that you should look for a display that allows the native resolution as an input signal (using DVI). I fell for that issue when I bought my Philips, which nativley has 1366 x 768 but does not allow that resolution as an input ( :cry: )

Users who are viewing this thread