nv 8600gt vs ati 2600pro (1 Viewer)

Dexx

Portal Member
May 11, 2007
Both the nVidia 8600gt and ati 2600pro have onboard acceleration for HD content. Does MP currently utilise this ability? If so, which of nVidia or ATI is better supported?

yatesd

Portal Pro
April 30, 2007
As I understand it is less to do with MP as it is the Codecs underneath. From what I have seen FFDSHOW currently does not support hardware acceleration at all. Most people seem to use the Cyberlink Codec from Power DVD which supports the ATI Avivo.

Check around a bit more first but I think the ATI route is currently the best supported.

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Yes, I use Cyberlink Power DVD for HD content (watch it via MP works great) for my HD 2400.
I love the card, cheap and does the job

Dexx

Portal Member
May 11, 2007
I gave the ati 2600pro a try. But unfortunately the strength of the signal out of its DVI port was insufficient to drive my projector.

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've been thinking about upgrade from the integrated gfx (ATI x1250) to a card with HW acceleration. 2600XT seems to be a good choice but I am worried about the issues with the drivers...

With the drivers I have now (7.9) it consumes a lot of CPU resources when sitting idle in the Home screen. I upgraded to the latest (7.10) it got worse. I've seen many reports on the same topic and it seems that old drivers from 7.4 an earlier behaved better.

Any comment on this from existng 2600XT owners?

/Peter

Arn01805

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2006
    Breda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have the nvidia 8600GTS. combined with cyberlink powerdvd it give both H.264 and MPG HW Acceleration. It gives me great quality picture on my lcd tv with dvi2hdmi.

I never tried ATI, so can't say anything about it.

Dexx

Portal Member
    May 11, 2007
    Does Purevideo facilitate h.264 accelleration? I cant see the option on my version with my 8600gt card.

Telstar

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    yes, but in vista only. you can read all the tom's article posted above.

Keep this in mind: 8600GT = 8600GTS at lower frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Well, there is nothing wrong in the log. I have personaly tested the bitstreaming after DVD resume, and I can confirm that the LAV audiodecoder shows status 'bistreaming' on the output. What is your LAV status?
    Well, there is nothing wrong in the log. I have personaly tested the bitstreaming after DVD resume, and I can confirm that the LAV...
    My apologies for posting two separate issues in one posting, however, the logs I have cover both. 1. Resume playback of...
    Replies
    Views
    This may or may not be a pause, after all, this is a playlist, it can constantly change, I don’t very well understand the mechanism of working with playlists in online broadcasts. Well, here you need to look at what is happening in the Media Portal player. And find someone who understands how it works.
    This may or may not be a pause, after all, this is a playlist, it can constantly change, I don’t very well understand the mechanism...
    I am running the latest "any cpu" version of the Radio Time plugin with MP 1.33 x64 which is working well except some of my...
    Replies
    Views
    Thank you! I guess I was overthinking it.
    Thank you! I guess I was overthinking it.
    This is apparently such a low level question that it's not even documented that I can find - I apologize in advance for this: I...
    Replies
    Views
    Playing audio cd's keeps stopping at random in the middle of songs. It can happen on the first song or sometimes after a few songs have played. If I press Next, it will start playing the next song. This happens with BASS and Wasapi players. It does not happen if I use Internal dshow player (which doesn't sound as good as either of...
    Playing audio cd's keeps stopping at random in the middle of songs. It can happen on the first song or sometimes after a few songs...
    Playing audio cd's keeps stopping at random in the middle of songs. It can happen on the first song or sometimes after a few songs...
    Replies
    Views
    So far I needed to limit the media items to respect the token limit of ChatGPT. Now the complete media items can be used, because the movie list is splitted into chunks of a specified size and responses for each chunk are concentrated into the result list :) private async Task<string> GenerateResponseWithGPT(string searchQuery...
    So far I needed to limit the media items to respect the token limit of ChatGPT. Now the complete media items can be used, because...
    Hi, I'm planning to write a plugin for MediaPortal 2, that supports users to find the right media items with help of AI...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom