*ORIGINAL THREAD* InfoService v1.6 - Feed reader/Twitter reader and weather (2 Viewers)

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
January 7, 2007
Ulm
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

I have several users of the xfactor skin that reports problems getting rss feed to work. And now one user reported this;
I wonder if Info Service is a process or a window plugin. Because when tried to run it from "process" the configuration appeared in the "windows" section, and even though I'd configured it correctly, it showed nothing in MediaPortal. I solved it by copying the .dll to windows as well. It's really weird. But works.

I know that before the dll was in process plugins and now the installation instructions say it should be in windows plugins. Does anyone else have problems like this? I don't see these problems in any of my three installations of MP but as some end users now start to making bug reports of rss feed not working I'm getting worried.

This link is an example one user has reported as not working (rss feed) and this one does not work on my PC eighter;
United.no - Nyheter

Please advice!

best regards
cul8er

InfoService is since v0.5 a Window plugin. This is because of the window to change the rss feeds. If you put the plugin in the process folder, the plugin shows up nevertheless in the window plugin section. At the moment i don't know if the plugin will work if you put it in the process folder. I made this clear in the first post.

As soon as i'm at home i will try the rss feed you gave me. Let's see whats happen.

Btw cul8ter: You can make a button to change rss feed on your basichome. Just add a <hyperlink>16001</hyperlink> to the button. Psycho Reptile did this on the new Monochrome skin too.

I think i change the window to change rss feed. I'll make a completly new screen to change rss feed on basichome and to read the rss feed.

And i thought about a email ticker/reader. Is there intrest for this feature?

daveyboy

Portal Member
March 15, 2005
Reading, England
Struggling...

Hi,

Lovely plugin, but I'm struggling to get the weather displayed with the X-Factor skin. Checking through the logs, I see this:

2009-06-04 12:08:28.906250 [Info.][MPMain]: InfoService: Successfully initiated RSSService
2009-06-04 12:08:28.906250 [Warn.][MPMain]: InfoService: No location for WeatherService found. Please add a location to the weather section of MediaPortal

But I do have weather configured, and the weather plugin works just fine. The weather section in the MediaPortal.xml looks like this:

<section name="weather">
<entry name="speed">1</entry>
<entry name="temperature">C</entry>
<entry name="refresh">30</entry>
<entry name="city0">Preston, United Kingdom</entry>
<entry name="code0">UKXX0282</entry>
<entry name="sat0">
</entry>
<entry name="temp0">
</entry>
<entry name="uv0">
</entry>
<entry name="winds0">
</entry>
<entry name="humid0">
</entry>
<entry name="precip0">
</entry>
<entry name="city1">Reading, United Kingdom</entry>
<entry name="code1">UKXX0117</entry>
<entry name="sat1">
</entry>
<entry name="temp1">
</entry>
<entry name="uv1">
</entry>
<entry name="winds1">
</entry>
<entry name="humid1">
</entry>
<entry name="precip1">
</entry>
<entry name="city2">Manchester, United Kingdom</entry>
<entry name="code2">UKXX0092</entry>
<entry name="sat2">
</entry>
<entry name="temp2">
</entry>
<entry name="uv2">
</entry>
<entry name="winds2">
</entry>
<entry name="humid2">
</entry>
<entry name="precip2">
</entry>
<entry name="city3">
</entry>
<entry name="code3">
</entry>
<entry name="sat3">
</entry>
<entry name="temp3">
</entry>
<entry name="uv3">
</entry>
<entry name="winds3">
</entry>
<entry name="humid3">
</entry>
<entry name="precip3">
</entry>

Any ideas? I'd love to get this working - by the way, the RSS feed works a treat.

Thanks.

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
January 7, 2007
Ulm
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

Lovely plugin, but I'm struggling to get the weather displayed with the X-Factor skin. Checking through the logs, I see this:

2009-06-04 12:08:28.906250 [Info.][MPMain]: InfoService: Successfully initiated RSSService
2009-06-04 12:08:28.906250 [Warn.][MPMain]: InfoService: No location for WeatherService found. Please add a location to the weather section of MediaPortal

But I do have weather configured, and the weather plugin works just fine. The weather section in the MediaPortal.xml looks like this:

<section name="weather">
<entry name="speed">1</entry>
<entry name="temperature">C</entry>
<entry name="refresh">30</entry>
<entry name="city0">Preston, United Kingdom</entry>
<entry name="code0">UKXX0282</entry>
<entry name="sat0">
</entry>
<entry name="temp0">
</entry>
<entry name="uv0">
</entry>
<entry name="winds0">
</entry>
<entry name="humid0">
</entry>
<entry name="precip0">
</entry>
<entry name="city1">Reading, United Kingdom</entry>
<entry name="code1">UKXX0117</entry>
<entry name="sat1">
</entry>
<entry name="temp1">
</entry>
<entry name="uv1">
</entry>
<entry name="winds1">
</entry>
<entry name="humid1">
</entry>
<entry name="precip1">
</entry>
<entry name="city2">Manchester, United Kingdom</entry>
<entry name="code2">UKXX0092</entry>
<entry name="sat2">
</entry>
<entry name="temp2">
</entry>
<entry name="uv2">
</entry>
<entry name="winds2">
</entry>
<entry name="humid2">
</entry>
<entry name="precip2">
</entry>
<entry name="city3">
</entry>
<entry name="code3">
</entry>
<entry name="sat3">
</entry>
<entry name="temp3">
</entry>
<entry name="uv3">
</entry>
<entry name="winds3">
</entry>
<entry name="humid3">
</entry>
<entry name="precip3">
</entry>

Any ideas? I'd love to get this working - by the way, the RSS feed works a treat.

Thanks.

The plugin searches for the entry "location". But on your MediaPortal.xml you have posted, is no entry named location. Try to set only one weather location or add the location entry manually with the code (ex. UKXX0092) but thats not the way it should work.
You can also try to delete all weather locations and after that readd the locations.

marvenius

Portal Pro
September 3, 2008
Belgium
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
My location entry was right near the bottom of the weather section (precip19 came just before it.
It may have been neglected to be posted, as this may have been down the line as well.

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
January 7, 2007
Ulm
Home Country
Germany Germany
My location entry was right near the bottom of the weather section (precip19 came just before it.
It may have been neglected to be posted, as this may have been down the line as well.

@daveyboy: If so, please send me your complete weather section, for testing.

This link is an example one user has reported as not working (rss feed) and this one does not work on my PC eighter;
http://united.no/rss/feed/nyheter

Tested this feed and it doesn't work for me, too, because this feed is a rss version 1.0 feed. Thought there is no big difference between version 2.0 and 1.0 of rss. I'll try to fix that. At the moment the plugin supports only rss 2.0 feeds.

daveyboy

Portal Member
March 15, 2005
Reading, England
The plugin searches for the entry "location". But on your MediaPortal.xml you have posted, is no entry named location. Try to set only one weather location or add the location entry manually with the code (ex. UKXX0092) but thats not the way it should work.
You can also try to delete all weather locations and after that readd the locations.

Many thanks - adding the location entry manually did the trick, and now it looks fantastic.

pirlone

Portal Pro
October 21, 2005
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
hi all!

I have a problem with news ticker in this plugin in combination with X-Factor skin (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/x-factor-316/about-x-factor-skin-52806/). after there is last news item shown in scroll line and when the ticker should start from beginning, it freezes mediaportal.
in mediaportal.log there is infinite loop of this error (repeating endlessly) and i have to manually kill mediaportal process because it doesn't react to remote control anymore:

Code:
2009-05-25 18:36:31.012774 [Info.][MPMain]: Exception   :Error in the application.
-2005530516 (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)
   at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.BeginScene()
   at MediaPortalApp.Render(Single timePassed)
2009-05-25 18:36:31.012774 [Info.][MPMain]: Exception   :Error in the application.
2009-05-25 18:36:31.013774 [Info.][MPMain]:   site      :Void BeginScene()
2009-05-25 18:36:31.013774 [Info.][MPMain]:   source    :Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
2009-05-25 18:36:31.013774 [Info.][MPMain]:   stacktrace:   at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.BeginScene()
   at MediaPortalApp.Render(Single timePassed)

i have latest mp installation (1.0.2) and had same sympthoms with RSS-ticker plugin too.

i haven't changed original basichome.xml which comes with x-factor installation.

i noticed another thing also: scrolling of news is very jumpy. that means it isn't fluid like other horizontal scrolling elsewhere in mp. don't know if this is skin specific problem or not. tried to find an answer in skin thread but no luck yet.

tia,
pirlone

PS: copy&paste from log is old, but it is always the same ...

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
January 7, 2007
Ulm
Home Country
Germany Germany
I think your problem is related to mediaportal or your soft/hardware configuration. I would try to make a clean windows installation, with newest drivers and software. My scrolling of the feeds is very jumpy too, i think the fadelabel of mediaportal needs some tweaking :/

I've done a new version which supports RDF and Atom feeds. Now the United.no - Nyheter feed works without problems. But i've changed the property names of #rssfeed and #rssimg to #feedtitles and #feedimg. Sorry for that :/

For bugreports please send me the log from mediaportal. Without i can't do very much.

50u1r34v3r

Portal Member
March 20, 2009
Hi edsche,

First off: Great plugin!
I'm using cul8ers X-Factor skin (R219) and your mpinfoservice (v0.6) and I've got a small question.
One of the screenshots on the startpage of this thread is showing a menu in which you can switch between your feeds.
Now my question is: is there a designated button on the remote control to popup that menu? (I'm using a standard MCE remote)

Users who are viewing this thread