Recorded TV in external player (1 Viewer)

matejdro

Portal Pro
May 28, 2010
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
Is there a way to play recorded TV with external player?

I have external player set up and it works fine with movies, but recorded TV still uses internal player. Extensions option is empty, so it should play all files.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Add .ts to extensions list, then try play back using My Videos plugin.

If still using internal player, then rename .ts recording filename to either .mp4 or .mkv (both should work, but try mp4 first)

PS. Internal player with MP audio render (active) is actually superior in quality to a lot of external players.

Last edited:

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Extensions list in external player settings is empty and according to description, that means that it should play every format.

It also plays in internal player with myvideos. Renaming using mp4 works, but that is manual job. I guess I could tweak ComSkipLauncher plugin to launch rename program? But then I would also need to automatically re-import renamed files into database. Will look into it, thanks.

I realize that internal player is superior, but I'm using VLC as external player so I can also stream recordings to STB in other room (Its IPTV STB and can only accept UDP streams). Perfect thing would be ability to pick internal or external player when you want to watch video, but AFAIK this is not possible.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Your set top box might be able to handle playing the renamed recording without streaming.

Alternatively you could create a symlink to the .ts file with a .mp4 extension, best of both worlds.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    STB does not care about file extension. It can't read files, that is why I must use external VLC to stream files to it (basically I emulate IPTV).-

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    symbolic link might be a solution for you then (if you don't want to edit database)

just select the virtual mp4 file with my videos for external STB playback, while you still have full database support for the original .ts which will also use the internal player.

use mklink to auto create symlinks after each recording with a comskip launched .bat file.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread