[confirm] some channels fail to tume(unable to start graph) rc6 (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: some channels fail to tume(unable to start graph) rc6

hey elliottmc,
    you must be misunderstanding, really.
    I am totally relaxed, just wanted to state, why I did/did not report the issue ....

honestly, i do not understand your anger in total, I am an active member of the community aswell, and noone did flame you or the MP team, at least from my point of view.

cheers
    joystick

My comments were not directed at you. :) They were directed at the person who has complained, in two recent threads at least, that the bugs he found have not been verified/fixed.

I don't wish to cause offence to anyone, but people do need to realise that we are not here to be complained at. We are just volunteers, and in the past, good team members have quit as a result of moaning from the users, and the MediaPortal project is weaker for losing them.

Personally, I process bug reports based on areas of MediaPortal the I use, and will therefore be able to verify easily. Reproducing issues with channels changing frequency is not trivial, since the frequencies do not change very often. I guess this can probably be tested by manually changing a frequency in the database. However it might require one of the developers to tell us how to do that.

Best wishes,

Mark

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: some channels fail to tume(unable to start graph) rc6

ok, I will give it a try with my old channel list.... will report back

cheers

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

hey elliottmc,
    you must be misunderstanding, really.
    I am totally relaxed, just wanted to state, why I did/did not report the issue ....

honestly, i do not understand your anger in total, I am an active member of the community aswell, and noone did flame you or the MP team, at least from my point of view.

cheers
    joystick

My comments were not directed at you. :) They were directed at the person who has complained, in two recent threads at least, that the bugs he found have not been verified/fixed.

I don't wish to cause offence to anyone, but people do need to realise that we are not here to be complained at. We are just volunteers, and in the past, good team members have quit as a result of moaning from the users, and the MediaPortal project is weaker for losing them.

Best wishes,

Mark

Come on Elliot, we just had a normal conversation here and we're just trying to help and improve MP where we can. When we have a critical note, that doesn't mean we don't respect you or want to flame you or anything. Not at all! I have great respect for your efforts and that of the whole team!
    And again, I'm not complaining when I ask why a thread is not marked as [BUG] when clearly one of the MP team said in that thread that there is a bug. He even confirmed he forgot to mark it. I just verified if I didn't forget something to report or do, that's all.

Friends again? :)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

Come on Elliot, we just had a normal conversation here and we're just trying to help and improve MP where we can. When we have a critical note, that doesn't mean we don't respect you or want to flame you or anything. Not at all! I have great respect for your efforts and that of the whole team!
    And again, I'm not complaining when I ask why a thread is not marked as [BUG] when clearly one of the MP team said in that thread that there is a bug. He even confirmed he forgot to mark it. I just verified if I didn't forget something to report or do, that's all.

Friends again? :)

Of course :)

But just try to bear in mind that we are working very hard behind the scenes here. Before a thread is marked as a bug, it is nice to discuss it with a developer to work out what might be involved with fixing it. These things do take time.

I think that the quality of MediaPortal is so high that many people (not just you) have unrealistic expectations of what we can do and how quickly.

It is better to leave a thread as 'confirm' until we have a clear plan, even if we know that something is wrong.

Mark

Jari74

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I have to point that my opinion is that MP is a great tool, best what I have found. I am really glad that there is talented people who developing this one . I am aware that this is still under development and I don't like to give a impression that I am blaming somebody. Just to inform that there is some bugs etc. and hope that those can be fixed in future =)

Keep on good work guys...

Cheers

Jari

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok, tested last night with the MP in debug mode and could cause and register some random failings to tune to channels. It only happens sometimes, about 1 in 10 times. It doesn't matter what channel it is, it fails to tune randomly, this time without any warning or message, just a frozen screen. One time the screen was frozen black (I think from the channel I was on before I tried to tune to the next channel) and one time a frozen epg.
    You can still hear your the buttons you hit on the remote and when you hit stop, the screen flashes and MP is 'released' again from it's freeze. Now all the actions you've hit on your remote when it was frozen will take place. Hitting the failing channel after that again and it will always work...

Please be a little bit patient because I forgot to take along the logs on a usb-stick so I can only post these tonight. :oops: sorry

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Ok, tested last night with the MP in debug mode and could cause and register some random failings to tune to channels. It only happens sometimes, about 1 in 10 times. It doesn't matter what channel it is, it fails to tune randomly, this time without any warning or message, just a frozen screen. One time the screen was frozen black (I think from the channel I was on before I tried to tune to the next channel) and one time a frozen epg.
    You can still hear your the buttons you hit on the remote and when you hit stop, the screen flashes and MP is 'released' again from it's freeze. Now all the actions you've hit on your remote when it was frozen will take place. Hitting the failing channel after that again and it will always work...

Please be a little bit patient because I forgot to take along the logs on a usb-stick so I can only post these tonight. :oops: sorry

If there was no message given, then it is probably a different issue. It might be better to start a new thread so as not to confuse things.

I have seen this once or twice when starting to play recordings, but unfortunately am in the middle of reinstalling my main HTPC, so cannot provide logs at the moment.

Mark

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If there was no message given, then it is probably a different issue.
    Sometimes it gives 'unable to start graph', sometimes 'no audio/video detected', sometimes 'Can't play live2-0.ts.tsbuffer", sometimes no message. This time it was twice no message. But the procedure is almost always the same: mp freezes, hitting stop releases MP again and hitting the same channel again will always work after that without any problems.

I have seen this once or twice when starting to play recordings, but unfortunately am in the middle of reinstalling my main HTPC, so cannot provide logs at the moment.

Mark

I can honestly say I've never seen this with my recordings.

I'll make a seperate bugreport with logs tonight.

BeLLe

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2008
    Sometimes it gives 'unable to start graph', sometimes 'no audio/video detected', sometimes 'Can't play live2-0.ts.tsbuffer", sometimes no message. This time it was twice no message. But the procedure is almost always the same: mp freezes, hitting stop releases MP again and hitting the same channel again will always work after that without any problems.

I see this problem a few times a day but it's hard to provide logs as it happens pretty ramdom

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I see this problem a few times a day but it's hard to provide logs as it happens pretty ramdom

Same here. I see you also have DVB-C (but with a different tv card). Where are you from (and who's your provider)? do you use a smartcard (with irdetho2)?

Users who are viewing this thread