Switch on computer using remote? (1 Viewer)

Geon106

Portal Pro
June 23, 2006
Kent, England
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Is there a way you can turn your computer on from power-off state using a MCE remote or keyboard etc? :)

just then i won't need to get up to press the on button haha. Thanks people :)

Media Portal is truely fantastic!

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Use the freeware "MCE Standby tool" (use google) to enable your remote to switch it on. XP is a little flaky with 'standby' but the tool fixes it.
    Simply put it will enable your (USB device) remote to switch it on.
    I have been putting my PC in standby mode and resuming it for a couple of months now with my MCE remote, very cool! :)

Good luck

NicK Name.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I'm pretty sure that you can also turn your PC on from a full off as well as stand by, but you need to make sure your PC supplies power to your MCE reciever when the power is off. If your PC is off and you press a button on your MCE remote, does the red light on the reciever glow? If not, you'll need to switch the power supply for the USB port from 5v to 5v SB. This is usually eaither done in the BIOS or via a jumper.

seven5

Portal Pro
    April 23, 2007
    will this work with any remote? or do you have to have the MCE remote and reciever.

I'm using a hacked xbox remote reciever and my favorite universal remote.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    The MCE Replacement driver 'should' work for all supported remotes, not just MCE remotes. As I only have an MCE remote, I can't definitely say 'yes' for your universal remote but if it's receiver is USB, it should be OK.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    It really depends on the remote, as this is what has to wake up the PC. I guess it has to emulate the keyboard "power" button (found on keyboards with the PC98 power buttons).

It's nothing to do with drivers at this stage, as the PC is asleep. You also have to make sure that the reciever circuitry is getting power while the PC is asleep. A simple com port hack job probably can't do it unless you use the ring in pin or something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Are you trying to use a remote control or a keyboard? You can customise your input devices using the "Remotes and Other Input Devices" section in "MP Config". Using the "HID" tab, you can: Customise your remote control, and/or Customise your keyboard. Select one or both devices, and then pick the config that you are going to use...
    Are you trying to use a remote control or a keyboard? You can customise your input devices using the "Remotes and Other Input...
    Is there some way to change the raw mapping of the windows media center remote? With Hid Demo I find that the 'stop' button...
    Replies
    Views
    Default Direct Sound Device was the problem. MPAR worked better than Dircect Sound, but is still a problem. Changed Audio Renderer to use the TV and it's working.
    Default Direct Sound Device was the problem. MPAR worked better than Dircect Sound, but is still a problem. Changed Audio Renderer...
    New computer build with Windows 11 Pro. MediaPortal 1.34 x64. When I pause a video the audio drops out. This only occurs when...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi, yes, you are right. The official x64 1.32 is buggy. You can try a new installers from this post if you like.
    Hi, yes, you are right. The official x64 1.32 is buggy. You can try a new installers from this post if you like.
    hi, I'm setting up a new computer and have installed MP 1.3.2 after a few goes and getting all the prereqs installed, I was...
    Replies
    Views
    Many thanks for the answer. So far I've used Logitech's Harmony hub. This allows you to control all components (including the media portal). I have now contacted the Sofabaton hotline. It should also work here like with the Harmony. Unfortunately, not all of the IR codes are correct. You can also learn commands here. But that doesn't...
    Many thanks for the answer. So far I've used Logitech's Harmony hub. This allows you to control all components (including the...
    I don't have a complicated A/V system - a Sony A8H TV, Yamaha receiver, and a HTPC on which I run most media through MediaPortal. I...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 Odd Standby issue DE
    Since I played around with all the settings as per the previous posts and despite putting everything back to how it was, as far as I can tell, now when my HTPC wakes up to make a recording it no longer does so in away mode. I will probably do a restore from a backup in the hope that that will resolve the issue.:mad:
    Since I played around with all the settings as per the previous posts and despite putting everything back to how it was, as far as...
    Generally standby is working well on My Mp 1.32 x64 pre set up. I just have one issue, which was also present on earlier x86...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom