TBS 6984 Quad Tuner DVB-S/S2 PCIe Card Review (1 Viewer)

burton666

Portal Member
March 21, 2006
I found this howto for Mythv and I hope that it shows how to get it working, but I am to stupid to connect the dots :)

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MultiLNB_Switch_Setup

Homepage of the switch :EMP-Centauri - download and its called 154

There is also 4 switches on the switch and I don't understand if I need to flip any of them.

I found this on a noter forum, I don't know if it helps or if it is just anoter question:

"Hi all.

Does anyone have a working setup with a 9/4 (or similar) DiSEqC
multiswitch? Specifically an EMP Centauri E154-AP (
EMP-Centauri - products )

This is one of the ones where you have to set the DiSEqC 1.0 command
and then the voltage/22kHz to address the 8 ports: eg

Port 1 = DiSEqC-A 22k-off 13V
Port 2 = DiSEqC-A 22k-off 18V
Port 3 = DiSEqC-A 22k-on 13V
Port 4 = DiSEqC-A 22k-on 18V
Port 5 = DiSEqC-B 22k-off 13V
Port 6 = DiSEqC-B 22k-off 18V
Port 7 = DiSEqC-B 22k-on 13V
Port 8 = =DiSEqC-B 22k-on 18V

I'm about to start the process of trying to get this to switch 6
different LNBs with Myth and it would be great to hear if someone
already has this going."

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi burton666

I have an EMP Centauri 9x8 Profi-Line multiswitch here, and that works fine with all my tuners, including a TBS 5980 CI USB tuner. Have you tried other software to see if it can control the switch?

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay

Best to try the 6984 tuner with other software (ProgDVB, DVBViewer, N-PVR etc.) to confirm that the tuner can actually control the switch. In other words, we want to confirm that this is a MediaPortal problem so that I can raise it with TBS and ask them what needs to be done. If the tuner can't control the switch in any software then I'd suspect that their could be a tuner <--> switch incompatibility (which does happen sometimes) - if that is the case you should raise the issue with TBS directly.

Best regards,
    mm

burton666

Portal Member
    March 21, 2006
    Okay

Best to try the 6984 tuner with other software (ProgDVB, DVBViewer, N-PVR etc.) to confirm that the tuner can actually control the switch. In other words, we want to confirm that this is a MediaPortal problem so that I can raise it with TBS and ask them what needs to be done. If the tuner can't control the switch in any software then I'd suspect that their could be a tuner <--> switch incompatibility (which does happen sometimes) - if that is the case you should raise the issue with TBS directly.

Best regards,
    mm

I have now been able to solve my problem with some help from from TBS support. Using DVB-dream and entering custom HEX codes in the RAW DiSEqC option of each satellite. How can I enter these HEX commands in Tv-server?

This is the mail I recieved from support:

i believe it's just issue related to your multiswitch - as far as i can understand form the article here:

MultiLNB Switch Setup - MythTV

EMP-154AP Multiswitch uses DiSEqC A and B ("committed") commands for selecting between the 2 groups of 4 ports - respectively group 1 (port A, B, C, D) and group 2 (port E, F, G, H), then in each group it uses 22 kHz tone to select between first and second half of ports in the the group - for example 22 kHz tone off selects ports (A, B) or sub-group 1 and 22 kHz tone on selects ports (C, D) or sub-group 2 in group 1 and at the end it uses voltage to select select port in a sub-group - for example 18V selects port B and 13V selects port A in sub-group 1. so, that allows with one Quan LNB connected for example to ports A, B, C, and D to cover all 4 options: low-band, Vertical; low-band, Horizontal; high-band Vertical; high-band, Horizontal;

so, have you configured for example DVBDream to use your switch - i believe based on the above you need to do:

* go to Option Menu --> Diseqc
    * set "Diseqc Switch Type" to "v1.0 or v2.0"
    * double click on "Port X", assigned satellite and choose "Raw Diseqc", which allows you to manually input what DiSEqC command to be sent by DVBDream when choose that satellite - please look at the attached picture:

- dvbdream_diseqc_port1.png

then repeat the same steps for the other satellite using "E0 10 38 F4" as DiSEqC command, because "E0 10 38 F0" and "E0 10 38 F4" are respectively DiSEqC A and B for "committed" type of switch.

please, let me know if the above helps - at least at the moment i assume the issue is related to the switch.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

I have now been able to solve my problem with some help from from TBS support. Using DVB-dream and entering custom HEX codes in the RAW DiSEqC option of each satellite. How can I enter these HEX commands in Tv-server?
    You can't enter raw DiSEqC commands with TV Server.

If your switch only responds to those specific committed commands then it is not DiSEqC compliant. Simple 2 port switching should be achieved with tone/data burst, uncommitted commands (E0 10 39 F0 and E0 10 39 F1), *or* the switch should accept the 4 committed possibilities for each of the ports. In other words the switch should accept these commands:

Port Group 1 (A, B, C, D)
    E0 10 38 F0 [low band, vertical]
    E0 10 38 F1 [high band, vertical]
    E0 10 38 F2 [low band, horizontal]
    E0 10 38 F3 [high band, horizontal]

Port Group 2 (E, F, G, H)
    E0 10 38 F4 [low band, vertical]
    E0 10 38 F5 [high band, vertical]
    E0 10 38 F6 [low band, horizontal]
    E0 10 38 F7 [high band, horizontal]

As I already said, I also have an EMP Centauri 9x8 Profi line multiswitch. The switching commands are identical to yours with DiSEqC, 22 kHz and 13/18 V. I use simple A or AA to switch to port group 1 and simple B or AB or BB to switch to port group 2. If that does not work for you then I think you should post logs showing attempts to tune channels from the second port group.

mm

burton666

Portal Member
    March 21, 2006
    I have tried again and no luck with simple A/B or AA/AB.

But it seems strange that my Vu+ Duo have no problem getting all the channels using the switch.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Now with the logs I can see why it isn't working. Your tuner is recognised as a generic Conexant chip based tuner rather than as a TBS/Prof tuner. Please allow me a couple of days to check our code against the latest TBS SDK/API and make a patch to see if we can get this working correctly.

mm

burton666

Portal Member
    March 21, 2006
    Hi again

Now with the logs I can see why it isn't working. Your tuner is recognised as a generic Conexant chip based tuner rather than as a TBS/Prof tuner. Please allow me a couple of days to check our code against the latest TBS SDK/API and make a patch to see if we can get this working correctly.

mm

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread