TV player only (1 Viewer)

Blutarsky

Portal Member
June 22, 2006
Is there any chance to launch the TV player without the whole MP environment?

Could it be an option? Lighter ?

Eeyore

Portal Pro
April 2, 2006
Newcastle, Australia
Home Country
without anything else....

surely you want the whole 'My TV' section

to me, sounds like a good idea for those who dont want the other bits...

you could always disable everything else (through configuration.exe), but it would be good for the EXE to only contains the needed bits for 'My TV' and nothing else and when you launched MP it went directly to My TV

i'm not sure how feasible this is though...MP Lite...but,you could be onto something...i like it....i definately like it

tklon

Portal Pro
September 3, 2004
Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
nitro said:
but it would be good for the EXE to only contains the needed bits for 'My TV' and nothing else and when you launched MP it went directly to My TV
Just use the software which came with your tv card for that. I think in that case you don't need a mediacenter software. :wink:

Blutarsky

Portal Member
June 22, 2006
James said:

Do you mean "Yes, it is required that MediaPortal is running to record a scheduled TV Show. MediaPortal is not designed to run as service. " ??

I've asked because the built in TV player is really clumky and wprst of all it isn't capable using neither nVidia Purevideo codec nor ffdshow!

tklon

Portal Pro
September 3, 2004
Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
I think James means this one:

Would a cut down version of MediaPortal be faster?

No. MediaPortal is already modular and modules which are not used can be disabled in settings. However, removing code for those part which you do not want to use will not improve the performance of MediaPortal or is basic hardware requirements.

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Yep also take note of:

Why doesn't MediaPortal perform as well as the application provided with my TV card?

MediaPortal needs to support a large range of TV cards and to do this it uses the Windows DirectShow API. The applications provided with most TV cards will communicate directly with the card and therefore can perform better in certain conditions. They can do this because they only need to support a very limited set of hardware and the provided applications normally have a very limited feature set.

Blutarsky

Portal Member
    June 22, 2006
    Sorry for being confusing.

I was talking about my tv card built in player (Savvy TV), that is poor quality and clumky.

MP tv player is much better, and best of all uses PureVideo and ffdshow!!

That's why I was asking about a standalone tv player

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Blutarsky said:
    Sorry for being confusing.

I was talking about my tv card built in player (Savvy TV), that is poor quality and clumky.

MP tv player is much better, and best of all uses PureVideo and ffdshow!!

That's why I was asking about a standalone tv player
    You might like DScaler, Mediaportal is not primarily meant to be a 1:1 replacement for the various (and sometimes indeedly horrific) programs bundled with cards.
    However, a great alternative would obviously be a switch to a HTPC usage of your PC, in which case you might probably like MP :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread