Vista and content protection (DRM) | Page 3

Discussion in 'OffTopic' started by James, December 30, 2006.

1. Roberdin

Roberdin Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well, people have been testing Vista for some time and I've never heard about anything that restrictive. It's not really a feature they can turn on in the final build and hope to work without proper testing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Paul S

Paul S Portal Pro

water
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    You mean that you believe that Windows would never release something without fully testing it to make sure that everything works properly?

HA!

The amount of updates for earlier windows products says otherwise.

4. Roberdin

Roberdin Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    That is not what I mean; I'm saying that such an extensive and core system change cannot be patched in at the last build. We'd have seen signs of it in previous betas and pre-releases: of course no flagged content has really been released yet either.

5. James
    • Premium Supporter

James Retired Team Member

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    This has already been seen.

From doom9 (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=921783#post921783):

6. funkstar
    • Premium Supporter

funkstar Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Home Country:
    Scotland Scotland
    Vista knows about HDCP and has the ability to block output using non- HDCP compliant hardware. But this is a big difference from being able to detect non digitally signed media and reduce the quality based on that.

In fact what you will find is that the media that you pay for and have a legitimate right to use, will be the most difficult to play. If you have the same content but without the DRM included it will play anywhere you like on any hardware, regardless of its HDCP compliance or otherwise.

7. cowpie

cowpie Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Well it's affecting hardware as you can read in the cost analysis of vista drm, see the problems with graphics cards. That means less or no interoperability with Linux, yet again lock-in, and much less control for the user to do what they want with hardware they paid money for.

If it's not digitally signed it will be play. But it won't be up to the control of the user who BUYS their music, it's all in the hands of industry who dictate whether you can open up your .drm-protected file in Audacity or not, or record it from the audio so that you can. Maybe in the future only un-licensed computers will be able to play these unprotected files and licensed computers won't, after all Microsoft themselves have stated that they don't include divx in their MEdia Center extender softwares to prevent piracy.

here's another link about trusted computing (aka next wave of DRM) http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq-1.0.html

You can also go with the FSF view that DRM (regardless of protecting copyright, think documents) is inherently evil, just think what people would think of Nixon and Vietman, and what would have happened back then, if those documents had been drm'd.

8. SOUNDYTIM

SOUNDYTIM Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The way i see, Because vista will come with every new computer.You will have to de-upgrade."Sticking WITH xp wont be easy"

9. CoolHammer
    • Premium Supporter

CoolHammer Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks like trend that every new computer part was cheaper and better performance than its previous model is gone. This is going to hurt small companies with fresh ideas a lot. You get more complicated system, and for what? Just to poor more money for those companies that did't actually deserve it.

10. ziphnor
    • Premium Supporter

ziphnor Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Home Country:
    Denmark Denmark
    But the photo-copier doesnt try to read a license from the paper and complain that you are not allowed to make a copy!

Such confusion would be great, consumers would start wondering why everything is so damn complicated, and they might even realize that DRM is to blame, especially if Microsoft point the finger at big media companies and indicate that they are the cause of the mess.

As indicated above, i would prefer massive confusion so people would realize just how annoying DRM is.

In regards to the technology i wonder why watermarking is not more widespread, it discourages piracy without limiting the customers use of the product. I have bought some watermarked MP3 files, and its the only form of DRM i find acceptable.

Have you followed the DRM debate recently? DRM on music is being challenged on several fronts and there have been alot of rumors about big music companies planning to give up on DRM exactly because its causing so many problems.

11. rtv
    • Premium Supporter

rtv Retired Team Member

CTO at ES2000
    Ratings:
    +301 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Well said!

Unfortunately I'm reading/watching false press info almost every day - like gamers will upgrade as soon as possible because only Vista supports DX10 and .NET3.
    Bullshit like this was in our daily news :mad:

Finally I think many people are just to lazy to realize how they are treated with DRM and act on it (and e.g. "upgrade" to Linux or at least Win XP).

THIS capitalism would allow for the most effective weapon against pro-DRM companies: boycott

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!