Visual Studio 2005 .NET C# (1 Viewer)

mytech

Portal Member
October 22, 2005
sweden
Hi,

has anyone any idea if the whole project can be read into VS 2005? Anyone tried this? :?:

Best regards,
M

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

I have never compiled MP myself, but AFAIK it's currently completely developed with VS 2003. However, there's a MediaPortalV2.sln in the CVS repository with the initial comment "added MS VS.NET 2005 project files so MP can now be compiled using .net 2.0 runtime".

Kind regards,
    Michel

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Its very unlikely to compile without a good deal of effort and knowledge of whats been happening of late at the moment. The reason being is that we've had to implement a number of classes and interfaces, all based on classes that will be available in .NET 2, that are needed to progress a certain aspect of the app. Most of these classes exist in Core and are their namespace is the same as the .NET equivelant (System.).

mytech

Portal Member
    October 22, 2005
    sweden
    Hi Smirnu(o?)ff,

just as i replied to Michel your post came in. So, what you are saying is that you will use (using) .Net Framework 2.0? I'm running VS 2005 and programing in C#. There are some really nice features in framework 2.0.
    Anyway, do you say that you are implementing stuff right now for the next release that will make it possible to run the project in VS 2005?
    I have some nice ideas for MP that I would like implement, but I would like to do it with the help of VS 2005 and framwork 2.0.

Best regards,

M

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    I'm suggesting that its going to be a royal pain in the butt to get MP to compile under VS 2005 for the moment, if you can wait another couple of weeks then the relevant issues should no longer pose a problem.

// but I would like to do it with the help of VS 2005 and framwork 2.0

I'm of the understanding that the license which accompanies any Beta version of VS 2005 prohibits redistribution of any binaries that it produces so until we can 2003 is going to be the best you can do, unless of course you're okay with constantly running up hill when it comes to migrating from CVS.

* edit *

I've now been informed that you can redistribute binaries built with a beta version of VS 2005 but we are not permitted to redistribute the .NET 2.0 Framework. More info can be found here.

Cheers,
    Smirnuff

Bosso

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2004
    Sweden / Stockholm
    Smirnuff said:
    I'm suggesting that its going to be a royal pain in the butt to get MP to compile under VS 2005 for the moment, if you can wait another couple of weeks then the relevant issues should no longer pose a problem.
    Smirnuff

Is this working now? (been a couple of weeks...)
    Installed VS2005 standard edition with .NET 2.0 and downloaded all source code from cvs with wincvs. (had to add core/layouts files from another branch)
    Can't compile. get 80 errors or so.

Some errors I get:
    Error 1 The type or namespace name 'EnterpriseDT' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\cvs\mp\mediaportal\Core\Util\FtpConnectionCache.cs 24 7 CoreV2
    Error 2 The type or namespace name 'Controls' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Windows' (are you missing an assembly reference?) D:\cvs\mp\mediaportal\Core\guilib\GUIControl.cs 30 22 CoreV2
    Error 3 The type or namespace name 'Media' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Windows' (are you missing an assembly reference?) D:\cvs\mp\mediaportal\Core\guilib\GUIControl.cs 31 22 CoreV2
    Error 4 The type or namespace name 'Drawing' does not exist in the namespace 'MediaPortal' (are you missing an assembly reference?) D:\cvs\mp\mediaportal\Core\guilib\GUIControl.cs 33 19 CoreV2

/Bosso

Ryogadan7

November 24, 2005
    Express Edition?

Hi,
    Bosso you are using 2005 Express Edition or the full Visual Studio .NET 2005?
    I try to rebuild project with Express Edition and i get 24 errors (many on the Layouts directory and core.dll file).

With Visual Studio .NET 2005 Beta 2 i have other problems but probabily due to beta version or .NET framework.

Have you done a successfull rebuild of the project?

Bosso

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2004
    Sweden / Stockholm
    Thanks smirnuff.
    Now I know I have to dig somewhere else to find the problem.

Ryogadan7:
    I'm using Visual Studio .NET 2005
    Have not succeded to rebuild yet. (have to work with other stuff for now...)

Users who are viewing this thread