Windows CE (1 Viewer)

S

stoffl

Hi,

is it possible to run MP under Windows CE?

Regards
Stoffl

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Unless its gone a long way since I used it last no. Cant see it having the SB engine or DX9 instructions. Even if it did the unit wont have a video card capable of dx9 instructions. But on another matter what device using CE would have the power to run MP?

S

stoffl

Hello,

thanks for fast reply...

I want to use it on an Windows CE 5.0 STB....

What exactly is the SB engine?

Stoffl

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I would be great if (in future a release) we could use WinCE as a thin client with wifi connectivity to control MP.

A skinnable remote control. Forget about remote control limitations!

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    SB Engine - Stream Buffering Engine, the thing that MP uses to time-shift. They have a new one coming up though so it doesn't have to use the Microsoft SB Engine.

If you use it as a Windows CE thin-client, the end result will be like the Media Center Extenders, where all the animations have been left out. It'll be a totally different project then, because of the need to remove DX9 instructions and probably put in GDI or GDI+ instructions.

Sam

S

stoffl

thanks again....

but it would be possible to run MP with Windows Embedded XP SP2 ??

The following Windows XP Professional technologies are new for Windows Embedded XP SP2:

* .NET Framework 1.1
    * DirectX 9.0c
    * Terminal Server Remote Desktop
    * Windows Firewall
    * Windows Media Player 9.0

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Theoretically yes, as Windows XP Embedded is just the usual Windows XP except its componentised. You'll probably need to experiment to work out which packages to leave out and which to add. You'll definitely need .NET framework 1.1, and DirectX 9.0c.

Sam

Autoper

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2005
    Stavanger, Norway
    MP works great on WinXP SP2 Embedded :) On one of my pc's I'm running MP as a shell using minlogon for logon and the EWF filter on the system volume. Also using the hibernate once, start many function for fast boot.
    The complete installation is about 300MB and is booting in about 20 sek.

But there is a problem related to DirectX 9.0c. The latest XPEmb update is containing DX9.0c, but when you try to start MP it tells you there is no DX9.0c installed. The reason for this problem is a wrong reg key.
    I can't remember what reg key you have to edit or the correct value. Google it, and you will find info on how to fix it...

Another problem is when you enter the MP setup there is a .NET error. Just press continue.

The most anoying thing about the XPEmb evaluation copy (I don't know if this is an issue for the full version) is that it is impossible to change the XP boot screen in any normal way :(
    So for now I'm using the "/bootlogo /noguiboot" switches in boot.ini to get my custom boot screen. (to use the /bootlogo switch place a 16 color 640x480 image file called boot.bmp in the system root).

Users who are viewing this thread