Xbox 360 Universal Remote as MCE Controller? (1 Viewer)

Deco

Portal Pro
August 26, 2005
Ireland
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Just wondering if the Xbox 360 Universal Remote will work as a Microsoft MCE Remote replacement? I have an existing MCE remote and IR/eHome receiver, but the the Xbox 360 one looks nice! 8)

Deco.

Ufdah

Portal Member
September 10, 2005
I was able to use a buddies 360 Remote to control MP on my HTPC. I didn't use it much to see if everything worked but the arrows and enter did.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Friend gave me his Xbox 360 Universal Remote from his HDDVD player. Unfortunately, the arrow/OK buttons don't work. All the others seem to work though.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Finally got this working. You need to edit your registry, from a MS Dev's blog:

Set Remote Control ID - To enable your Media Center to respond to a specific remote control ID do the following; 1. Press and hold the DVD Menu key on the remote then press a number button (1-8) for 5 seconds. Remotes with visible LED signal indicators will blink twice to confirm the change. 2. Enter that same number below. 3. Save. 4. Restart the Media Center PC. Note: To enable Media Center to respond to all remotes use the number 0. A reboot is required for this setting to take effect.

* Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
    * Registry value - CodeSetNum0
    * Registry value data type - REG_DWORD

This setting also requires deleting the following registry values:

* Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
    * Registry value - CodeSetNum1
    * Registry value - CodeSetNum2
    * Registry value - CodeSetNum3

Did the above changes and my X360 Universal Remote works with MP just as my MCE one did. I now have more buttons too. I think I should be able to add the buttons that are not already mapped to something.

UPDATE: ch/pg up and down are different codes from the regular MCE remote. I edited the custom Microsoft MCE.xml file pageup code from 18 to 108, pagedown code from 19 to 109. Works great.

Original Blue button is 94, changed to 104 for X360 Remote
    Original Green button is 92, changed to 102 for X360 Remote

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Debounce Registry Setting For anyone who wants to try the debounce registry setting, this is the setting: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da] "EnableDebounce"=dword:00000001 There are several different values for the...
    Debounce Registry Setting For anyone who wants to try the debounce registry setting, this is the setting: Windows Registry Editor...
    I'm currently testing the new Sofabaton x1 remote control with which I want to replace my Harmony. Everything looks good so far...
    Replies
    Views
    The layout of remotes does vary from one model/brand to another. I too find that some layouts are better than others. Generally, I prefer the buttons that I use most-frequently to be positioned near the center of the remote, which is not the case with that particular Dell remote. :( Battery life is often a problem. A remote that I...
    The layout of remotes does vary from one model/brand to another. I too find that some layouts are better than others. Generally, I...
    In Dec 2020: I purchased 2 remotes for my new HTPC install, eg: HP USB MCE IR RC6 Wireless Receiver and TSGH-IR02 Windows Media...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 Odd Standby issue DE
    Since I played around with all the settings as per the previous posts and despite putting everything back to how it was, as far as I can tell, now when my HTPC wakes up to make a recording it no longer does so in away mode. I will probably do a restore from a backup in the hope that that will resolve the issue.:mad:
    Since I played around with all the settings as per the previous posts and despite putting everything back to how it was, as far as...
    Generally standby is working well on My Mp 1.32 x64 pre set up. I just have one issue, which was also present on earlier x86...
    Replies
    Views
    I recently installed 2.4.1. Can anyone tell me why my IE remote does not show up under Input Devices (I show only "WiFi Remote," which I do not have)? Device Manager lists Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver as working. I find the MP2 documentation quite confusing as to whether a plugin is needed or whether MP2 is supposed to work...
    I recently installed 2.4.1. Can anyone tell me why my IE remote does not show up under Input Devices (I show only "WiFi Remote,"...
    I recently installed 2.4.1. Can anyone tell me why my IE remote does not show up under Input Devices (I show only "WiFi Remote,"...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi I have used the x-boc remote, see attached text file
    Hi I have used the x-boc remote, see attached text file
    I'm wanting to use an Xbox remote to control MediaPortal. Does anyone know if this is possible? Out of the box, the volume buttons...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom