Ziggo CI+ by the end of may??? (1 Viewer)

drullens

Portal Pro
October 28, 2004
Dongen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi Ziggo users,

The story goes that by the end of may our cable provicer Ziggo will make the switch to the new CI+ standard.
Does anybody know what this will mean for our Alphacrypt CI CAMs?

Gr, Dave

iSP

Portal Pro
January 2, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Nothing will change.
They want the power to block having people recording certain programs, and they can do that with CI+.
Ziggo announced, if your setup works so it will 'probably' in the future, so it will work as they can't say it will work of course.
For us nothing will change except we might have to trade in our alphacrypts in the future 'some time' for the cam Ziggo released, it's available already for 99 euro in certain sat shops.
I searched quickly for the quote but can't find it right now.
In any case no-one needs to worry as they most probably won't blacklist alphacrypts for a long time.
But it's true only about 8% of the Ziggo users use an alphacrypt setup, most use an original set top box.

iSP

Portal Pro
January 2, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I already tested them and they do.
As long as they use the irdeto 2 encryption it will work 100%.

As soon as they introduce the irdeto 3 encryption, which they currently test, we will need new cams.
When this is I can't exactly tell, but it's not likely it will be this year.
However, be prepared you wil need new cams by next year for sure (I can't reveal this source I'm afraid)
So if you need to buy a cam right now I would buy the original ziggo cam as you will have the best chance it will work.
I'm not told if they will be blocking floppydtv's or other tvcards, thetruth is they very well can, and since it's only less than 8% they dn't care to much loosing these customers since there aren't any other options really.
DVB-T digitenne has inferior quality streams and you're not allowed to place a dish for dvb-s everywhere, like here, so ziggo is my only choise.

In short, don't be afraid, in the recent future nothing will change or be blocked.

ChillyWilly

Portal Member
December 20, 2007
Which CAM did you test? And in what tuner?

Could Ziggo block tuners like the FloppyDTV even when you're using an official Ziggo CAM?

iSP

Portal Pro
January 2, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Ziggo_Irdeto.jpg

This is the cam Ziggo supports officially.
I've tested it in a floppydtv and it works just as well as the alphacrypt.

And like I said before yes they can block floppydtv's, they can block any tuner they want.

Read this for the quote: http://www.digitalekabeltelevisie.nl/nieuws/archives/2008/08/ziggo_bevestigt_support_c.shtml
As I read it we can see yet another cam even, but it's clear nothing will change in the recent future.
But CI+ is scary, it gives them total control in what we can record, watch and what tuners we can use.
And they will introduce this, even in most parts of Europe in the end :/

Users who are viewing this thread