aMPed update for MediaPortal 1.2 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Chuck - yes, I had to widen common.dialog to support larger fonts and never got around to centering everything. I can't just move the background, I have to adjust the text in all the dialogs that use it or it will run off the background. Remember that with all the options in aMPed I have to check and adjust for 2 screensizes and 3 fonts sizes for every change. There are 10 dialogs using common.dialog so that is 60 tests/checks/adjustments I have to make for that one change. It never seems to make it to the top of the list :( You can always add it to the issue tracker as I tend to respond to the requests there with the most 'stars' first.

pilot_bas - thx I understand, and it is what I thought. In some cases I 'slide' controls to center them on widescreen. I am not sure why MP does not 'recognize' the animated position, so I will have to investigate if I can find a fix for that, or try to think up another way. Are you able to use all 'hidden' menus correctly? (aMPed uses them a lot). I mean when you are in a window like Music/Pictures/Videos etc and you have to slide on the hidden menu. Can you access those button controls correctly? If so, I might be able to 'trick' MP using a similar method.

About volume control. Yes it should not be a problem to add it to the top bar. Is there a specific skin that has the feature that works for you? Best to copy one that works for touch screens! All feature/enhancement requests should be added to the Issue Tracker where everyone can 'vote' on them by starring them. Then I won't forget and can take them in order of priority/popularity. Thanks

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    @TLD,
    How do you know I have server2008 installed? :) :)
    But no, I don't have Windows SDK for Server 2008 now, but I can do that of course. Will that help?

Bas

I needed to install it before the build.bat would build the aMPed installer .exe. file.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    @Chuck - yes, I had to widen common.dialog to support larger fonts and never got around to centering everything. I can't just move the background, I have to adjust the text in all the dialogs that use it or it will run off the background. Remember that with all the options in aMPed I have to check and adjust for 2 screensizes and 3 fonts sizes for every change. There are 10 dialogs using common.dialog so that is 60 tests/checks/adjustments I have to make for that one change. It never seems to make it to the top of the list :( You can always add it to the issue tracker as I tend to respond to the requests there with the most 'stars' first.

I just thought I'd throw it out there... Take all the time you need, if it doesn't bother anyone else ... but, I've already changed the xml's in my base install :D ... I've got no clue about the other views.

The wife is having trouble keeping the sub-menus straight... she keeps wanting to use the green button to get back to the main "Home" menu, because they seem like different screens to her, then she just ends up confused and angry (fault her Irish/Bohemian heritage). I might make a special mod from the base install (which is working fine for me) just for her that will reveal the sub-menus next to the Home menu ... like a couple other skins out there. I'll probably separate the "More" menus into the "extra" and "games" screens.

I think aMPed is more of what the Default skin should have been. It sets the bar for legibility and sensible design, especially for the 4:3 format. (is that enough butter?) :D:D:D

Chuck

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The wife is having trouble keeping the sub-menus straight... she keeps wanting to use the green button to get back to the main "Home" menu, because they seem like different screens to her, then she just ends up confused and angry (fault her Irish/Bohemian heritage). I might make a special mod from the base install (which is working fine for me) just for her that will reveal the sub-menus next to the Home menu ... like a couple other skins out there. I'll probably separate the "More" menus into the "extra" and "games" screens.
    Why don't you let her use Vintage (formerly known as 'Classic') Basic Home? It works like that. In fact you can save profiles in aMPed to save all Config options: themes, different backdrop options, layouts, Home screen, fonts, etc. Then you just use a batch file to start up MP with the profile for that user and link it to a remote key. That way your wife could even have the nice floral backdrops, or travel set, if she prefers. It's all in the aMPed Wiki (which is in process of getting updated as well). aMPed is designed to counteract the tyranny of technocrats! ROLF

I have plans to change revaMPed like you suggested or add a new Basic Home version like that. But that might not make it for 3.3 as it requires a complete rewrite of the Basic Home Editor as well.
    I think aMPed is more of what the Default skin should have been. It sets the bar for legibility and sensible design, especially for the 4:3 format. (is that enough butter?) :D:D:D
    Is there ever enough butter? I am from Ontario, the land of dairy! :D
    I think aMPed is good for usability options which allow you to select the style you prefer. And I agree with readability. But I would change the design if it was not so much work because I find the text is spread too far all over the screen. Ofc it is really not easy to get everything readable on a 4x3 these days when every plugin and adds more and more features and just pretends there are no more 4x3 users so they don't even add those features to the default 4x3 skin (or don't even provide them!) I think we are fighting a losing battle!

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    I noticed in online video in the update dialog when you first start, the text doesn't fit and doesn't scroll with revaMPed 18 font.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    18 pt font is gunna give u problems at some rare places.... it is just too big to fit and I would think that adding scrolling to everything is tedious. I have learned to deal with 15 pt... everything looks great and it is still viewable from the bed. I would love to use 18 pt flawlessly tho.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I noticed in online video in the update dialog when you first start, the text doesn't fit and doesn't scroll with revaMPed 18 font.
    Hi TLD could you post a screenshot, at least of the screen you mean?

When I open OV I just get a quick message 'Deleting old thumbnails' or something like that, and it all displays fine in 18pt font, though it is very fast. So I think you must mean something else? And are you using 4x3 or 16x9?

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    Before it says 'Deleting old thumbnails' it asks "Do you want to update sites" it's on 4x3. I'll try to get a screen shot for you.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    It's OK TLD, I had that option turned off in OV Config so missed it. THX. Now it will scroll. Sadly, even if I made the dialog full screen there are cases where the text is really long and will scroll (it's a common dialog window used in 10 diff dialogs and those are used in many windows/plugins).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread