Android remote? (1 Viewer)

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wait a minute - great! That plugin would make it possible to use an iPod touch as a remote. Even better than the harmony 1100 since I won't need no IR receiver.
    Or do I misunderstand this plugins abilities?

@joost: Then I want a Maya skin for that app!

Right, that's what I am after. The only thing required is that your Mediaportal is reachable via wifi.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for good news. I am hoping very much for the possibility of 2-way communication, so that you can browse music tracks / radio stations on the phone without having to waste projector lamp life and warmup time for audio purposes. I already have a couple MCE remotes, so just 1-way comm wouldn't do it for me.

iPiMP will do this for you just now.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I am working on that (a process plugin which takes commands via tcp and a matching iPhone app). I already had someone who was interested in doing an Android app with this.
    The current status: the basics are working here (connect to server, control the basic features) but I will need some more time to figure out how to make it work best for everyone.

Regards,
    Shukuyen.

@Shukuyen - iPiMP is a web app which interacts with a process plugin to interact with & control MP clients. PM me if you want any info on what I've done with this. I'd like a native app as much as the next person but it was out of my skills to write one so I went down the web route.

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey cheezey,
    thanks for the offer. I followed the iPimp development from your first steps until now and I am very impressed by what you achieved.
    The reason why I didn't just use iPimp is that your focus seemed to be on the TV part of MP in the early days and I don't use that part.

Then I had the opportunity to learn some Cocoa coding and thought a remote would be a goog idea - not as a rival to iPimp but as a lightweight alternative. I will send you a PM with additional detail and I am really looking forward to hear your thoughts on this.

Current status for the remote app:
    I rebooted development on the app because my prototype works but isn't as good as I wished it was. The new app is way better in how it handles things. The server discovery/connection stuff is almost done (I want to make this as easy and seamless for the user as possible), the next step will be to refactor the server part. SilentException pointed me to one of his plugins that helps me understand how to better send commands to MediaPortal without requiring the user to have a specific remote layout.

Once this is done I will release the server plugin to interested developers for other platforms (Android comes to mind ...), so they can start on their apps while I tinker on my iPhone remote :)

The focus of the app will be really narrow in the first version: Find a server, connect to it, send simple commands like with a real remote and display basic info about the currently playing item. In the future I may add mediabrowsing and so on, but as I said I don't see this as competition to iPimp.

Users who are viewing this thread