ATI Catalysy 8.6 problem (1 Viewer)

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Ati avivo codec do not work with h264 material.

I've quickly tested avivo with h264 and even HW accel seemed to work on vista with HD2600pro (less than 10% CPU usage). This was with 8.5 cats.

stians

July 3, 2008
    Oslo
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Just a little warning about the "8.7 beta" drivers mentioned earlier in this thread (I downloaded from guru3d.com, but there were others mentioned):

After having the blank screen problem after upgrading to 8.6 I decided to give them a try. XP Pro SP3 and an ATI HD3450 card. The screen came up with a nasty green tint that I couldn't get rid of. It's probably a compatibility problem with my card or system, but I figure it couldn't hurt to warn others.

Had to remove the software and reinstall (thankfully that worked) and I've downgraded to the 8.42 Catalyst that came with my card - which doesn't blank the screen on fullscreen playback either ;)

stevan

July 22, 2008
    Home Country
    A mag reported that they got much better stability by putting ddr2 667 ram in DIMM 3 and 4 of an MSI K9A2GM hdmi 780 chipset board. Maybe puting ram in these slots might fix some issues?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Official Catalyst 8.7 drivers are out. Solves all problems with Hardware Acceleration. ;)

Hi

I see you have the same motherboard as me.
    I have been unable to get HA working with Mediaportal.
    Can you please please answer some questions

1. Can you confirm you get HA with 264 Live DVB-T, What CPU useage?
    2. Are you using Vista64 SP1 Ultimate?
    3. Do you have windows aero on or off? (Some posts state Aero must be on for HA)
    4. Do you use VRM9 or EVR (I understand you must have EVR on for HA with LiveTV)?
    5. Which codec are you using, if powerdvd which version of powerdvd?
    6. If using EVR do you get flickering with the OSD?
    7. Which version of Mediaportal are you currently using?
    8. Did you need to do any registry hacks to get it going?

Any other information you can give me to get HA working with live TV on 780G Mobo would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

Mike

Also: Is there a way you can find out more information while watching TV about which codec is currently being used and what protocol the stream is encoded using.

ie - I know you can hit shift+1 (!) in mediaportal to display FPS and jitter, are there any other shortcuts to get more information on the screen for debugging purposes.

WinniMH

Portal Member
    March 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Official Catalyst 8.7 drivers are out. Solves all problems with Hardware Acceleration. ;)

Hi

I see you have the same motherboard as me.
    I have been unable to get HA working with Mediaportal.
    Can you please please answer some questions

1. Can you confirm you get HA with 264 Live DVB-T, What CPU useage?
    2. Are you using Vista64 SP1 Ultimate?
    3. Do you have windows aero on or off? (Some posts state Aero must be on for HA)
    4. Do you use VRM9 or EVR (I understand you must have EVR on for HA with LiveTV)?
    5. Which codec are you using, if powerdvd which version of powerdvd?
    6. If using EVR do you get flickering with the OSD?
    7. Which version of Mediaportal are you currently using?
    8. Did you need to do any registry hacks to get it going?

Any other information you can give me to get HA working with live TV on 780G Mobo would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

Mike

Also: Is there a way you can find out more information while watching TV about which codec is currently being used and what protocol the stream is encoded using.

ie - I know you can hit shift+1 (!) in mediaportal to display FPS and jitter, are there any other shortcuts to get more information on the screen for debugging purposes.

Hi,

I'm using the same motherboard you two are using (with XP SP3).
    I installed the 8.7 version and Windows wasn't able to start anymore-> got bluescreens while booting.
    I removed the 8.7 via Safe Mode and installed 8.6 again -> no time for further troubleshooting.
    So be carefull with the new version:)

Greetz

4irm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    FYI,

I am on XP SP3 - HD2400

The only one working for me (with HA with Cyberlink Codec) is 8.5

Neither 8.6 nor 8.7 does its job.

regards
    irm

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    this is in contrast to what others are reporting with ATI 8.7 drivers.
    Perhaps these people are using Vista32/64 or XP SP2 not XP SP3.

I myself am using Vista64 Ultimate, But I am holding off reformatting my system and upgrading until more info is known.

Users who are viewing this thread