Best codec and settings (1 Viewer)

KoktGrus

Portal Pro
November 8, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
what codecs do you guys use for watching tv with minimal quality-loss and what settings for the codec do you use??

I think the picture of my FireDTV is much too bad, if i'm comparing to a regular set-top-box..

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think the picture of my FireDTV is much too bad, if i'm comparing to a regular set-top-box..

KoktGrus

First i would ask if using the original manufacturers software, is the video\audio quality any good, because pretty much, that is what you would expect it to be.

If it seems to be good on a monitor and you are projecting it to a TV, that is a connection\output issue and there are many posts dealing with that.

Most transmissions are done in mpeg2 and if you have a reception problem, and this may be down to a individual card (do you notice a quality difference between Sat and terrestrial for example).

Also some of the original recording of older programs is crap, and although it looks fine on a normal Tv (just) it looks terrible on a digital TV (LCD or Plasma) and tends to look washed out and no definition.

After saying all the above, have PowerDVD7 HD version, WinDVD7 and Nvidia installed, and still for definition and clarity prefer the purevideo of nvidia to the others.

Regards

KoktGrus

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I used purevideo before but the interlace and picture-quality wasn't what i expected... Now i installed powerdvd7 and it's great!! Huge difference!

The powerdvd7 (HD) also has nvidia purevideo hardware support!

I suppose the regular purevideo should be pretty much that good too if it was configured right.. The powerdvd worked as it should directly =)

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I used purevideo before but the interlace and picture-quality wasn't what i expected... Now i installed powerdvd7 and it's great!! Huge difference!

Interesting, does this include TV-mode or just DVDs?
    If so, who is your TV provider?

KoktGrus

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I use it for everything, but the biggest difference did i see in the TV... Small text now got readable...

Boxer

-- edit

now i can read scrolling text in TV too, i couldn't that with the purevideo... Didn't get the interlace to work properly

mpfrank

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2006
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I installed PDVD7.3 Ultra too for whatching HD-TV. But I won't work correctly, always crashes MP.

Would you please be so kind to tell me what PDVD7 codec you are using in TV configuration of MP?

Thanks a lot

cheers
    mpFrank

KoktGrus

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    i use the BD-HD-codec and it worked properly directly.. do you use latest nvidia-drivers for your graphics-card?

mpfrank

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2006
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have the nvidia forceware 158.18 for Vista 32-bit installed. My graphic adapter is an Asus 7600GS Silent.

What kind of audio codec do you use?

mpfrank

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2006
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here is what codec i can choose in MP TV-Config:

See attached file:

KoktGrus

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I used the last one in your list..

edit

I don't know if PDVD are 100% compatible with vista... or it might is the nvidia-drivers that contains a bug?

Users who are viewing this thread