Canadian Experience (3 Viewers)

Canuck

Portal Member
March 6, 2013
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi again @corporate_gadfly,

I tried a lot, but couldn't make WebGrab+ working :-( I had problem composing the <channel> lines, because I didn't know what channel_ids should be used. I got that single server_id following the method you described, but not this one. I took the trial for Schedules Direct and it worked after I restarted the computer. I rather use WG+, because even $25 is too expensive for me considering my financials.
Any ideas highly appreciated.
When I get home, I will attach the files needed for GTA. (I think CTV2 is missing. I don't get CTV2 from my antenna any way).

Thanks @corporate_gadfly,
Don't worry about CTV2! I can survive without that! :)

Thanks a lot![DOUBLEPOST=1363630689][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hi again @corporate_gadfly,

I tried a lot, but couldn't make WebGrab+ working :-( I had problem composing the <channel> lines, because I didn't know what channel_ids should be used. I got that single server_id following the method you described, but not this one. I took the trial for Schedules Direct and it worked after I restarted the computer. I rather use WG+, because even $25 is too expensive for me considering my financials.
Any ideas highly appreciated.
When I get home, I will attach the files needed for GTA. (I think CTV2 is missing. I don't get CTV2 from my antenna any way).
@corporate_gadfly one more thing: Are you using a different antenna for the CTV? My antenna is directed at south and I don't receive CTV at all.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi Canuck,

I'm south of the 49th parallel, so take my help with a grain of salt. I've been playing with webgrabplus trying to understand how to get this setup. I was able to create the needed setup for my SF Bay area channels and used the same steps to generate some Toronto setup files as follows,

Downloaded the SiteIni.Pack_.11.10 file and followed the instructions in SiteIni.Pack.11.10\Networks\tvguide.com.no-provider_info.howtoaddprovider.txt, and used the "tvguide.com.no-provider.ini" as a starting point.

The tvguide.com webpage shows a lot of Canada cable TV options, for Toronto they showed the following
    <option value="890756">Toronto - Bell Fibe TV</option>
    <option value="70478">Toronto - Rogers Cable TV</option>
    <option value="892902">Toronto - Rogers Cablesystems - Analog</option>

I picked Toronto - Bell Fibe TV, 890756, and created a tvguide.com.Toronto_BellFibe.ini file and used this to generate a tvguide.com.Toronto_BellFibe.channels.xml file with a list of TV stations. I then setup the main WebGrab++.config.xml config file for the 1st 3 channels in the list. When I run this with webgrabplus it generated listings for those 3 channels so I think it works. You will need to copy/paste the channel entries from the channels.xml file into the config.xml file for the channels you want to grab. Delete the channels I tested if they are not interesting.

This is setup for "current day" with <timespan>0</timespan>. I suggest you add your channels and run with "0" to confirm it works for the channels you want. When this looks good you can increase the the time from 0 to 7 to get 1 weeks of EPG data. The zip file has the files I used for Toronto. I also have the extra "mdb" processing disabled, I could not get that working for my US stations. Let me know if this works.

Attachments

• BellFibe.zip
      15.3 KB
    Last edited:

Canuck

Portal Member
    March 6, 2013
    Richmond Hill, Ontario
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks a lot @RonD. I'll try then and let you know.[DOUBLEPOST=1363635510][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I picked Toronto - Bell Fibe TV, 890756, and created a tvguide.com.Toronto_BellFibe.ini file
    @RonD How did you do the above? How can I repeat that for OTA channels in Buffalo (which covers Toronto as well)?

OK, I jumped on this too quickly. I am reading SiteIni.Pack.11.10\Networks\tvguide.com.no-provider_info.howtoaddprovider.txt and it has the instructions! :)

Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    try the following,

an earlier link from corporate_gadfly has the srvid for Buffalo = 20407.268435456
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...a-new-xmltv-grabber.88425/page-13#post-859950

1. copy the tvguide.com.Toronto_BellFibe.ini and rename it tvguide.com.Buffalo.ini, or a file name you want to use.

2. edit that file, replace 890756 with 20407.268435456

3. open the WebGrab++.config.xml, remove the 3 channels at the bottom of the file and use the following dummy channel, modify the file name to match the file you created.
    <channel update="f" site="tvguide.com.Toronto_BellFibe" site_id="0" xmltv_id="dummy">dummy</channel>

4. run webgrabplus, this should generate a Buffalo channel list file, remove the dummy channel line and use the channels you just generated.

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Find attached the 2 files that I use for Buffalo OTA (I grab 8 days of listings every day). The channel listing file is also attached.

Attachments

• tvguide.com.Buffalo-OTA.channels.xml
      4.5 KB
    • WebGrab++.config.xml
      13.2 KB
    • tvguide.com.Buffalo-OTA.ini.txt
      5.7 KB

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    do you get good results when you enable mdb post processor? I tried the mdb once, it runs for a long time and does something, but I'm not sure if it really adds anything.

how do you set this to run periodically? run webgrab+plus.exe from windows scheduled task directly? run a scheduled batch script?

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    do you get good results when you enable mdb post processor? I tried the mdb once, it runs for a long time and does something, but I'm not sure if it really adds anything.

how do you set this to run periodically? run webgrab+plus.exe from windows scheduled task directly? run a scheduled batch script?
    Nope, mdb is skipped. I use a Windows Schedule Task (find attached) and run a Cmd file (find attached). In particular, I have it setup to "Wake the computer to run the task". Trigger is 8am daily. I grab 8 days at a time.

Attachments

• RunWebGrab++.cmd.txt
      191 bytes

rspierenburg

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Kiwi,
    I want to update the Nova Scotia Channel Listing xml if possible, I use Schedule Direct plugin, where would I find the channels.xml file?

NM - I realize I need to export it via TV-Server settings right?

Rob

Last edited:

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    @corporate_gadfly one more thing: Are you using a different antenna for the CTV? My antenna is directed at south and I don't receive CTV at all.
    @Canuck re: CTV, I think the issue is that CTV is on VHF channel 9. My antenna is an Antennas Direct DB8 (optimized for UHF, I think). Even then, I get CTV most of the time. I have the antenna mounted on the chimney on a single storey bungalow (Bloor/East Mall area).

Perhaps your antenna is optimized for UHF as well and not for VHF?

Also UHF pre-amps (if you have one) will block VHF signals. Some people suggest getting a rabbit ear antenna and reversing a two-way splitter (or a UHF VHF Splitter Joiner) to combine the two signals. Try it with a rabbit ear by itself first.

Found a great site for GTA OTA HDTV after googling a bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread