Catalyst 8.8 is out!!! (1 Viewer)

Nemulate

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
IOW
Home Country
England England
Not tried this yet but just thought I'd let those ATI graphics card users who weren't aware that it's now available!

flokel

Portal Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 11, 2005
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can get the new drivers from here:

Catalyst 8.8 Drivers & Software

Some nice new features:

This release of Catalyst™ introduces new Avivo video features:

* Dynamic Gamma/Contrast correction, available on the ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series, improves video image quality by delivering more vivid color in content with sharp contrasts and scenes with low and bright images.
    * Improved video presets, available for the ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 and ATI Radeon™ 4800 Series, delivers a newly optimized video presets that users can select depending on what kind of video content they are viewing.
    * Windows XP support: Edge enhancement, which adjusts the level of sharpness of video content and Noise Reduction, which removes ghosting artifacts while preserving details of the original video. The new slider controls can be found in the All Settings page of the Avivo Video tab found in the Catalyst™ Control Center

fanformusik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just tried 8.8, and to me it is somewhat "less unusable" than 8.7 (see post here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/software-codecs-mediaportal-175/ati-catalyst-8-7-a-42630/ ) :

- now doesn't send Win XP SP3 into a bluescreen on boot (like 8.7)
    - still unstable with HWacc for MPEG2 (BSOD that refer back to ati2dvag.dll)
    - random image dropouts and blocky artefacts with HWacc when used with H264 TV

Without HWacc it seems to run fine, but that is pointless IMO. I will revert to 8.5, since this one seems to be stable with H264+HWacc.

Oh well....

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    New ATi drivers out (8.8)

Release note:
    https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/gamesite/Catalyst_88_release_notes.html

Possible highlight:
    Catalyst™ Control Center: New Avivo video features

This release of Catalyst™ introduces new Avivo video features:

* Dynamic Gamma/Contrast correction, available on the ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series, improves video image quality by delivering more vivid color in content with sharp contrasts and scenes with low and bright images.
    * Improved video presets, available for the ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 and ATI Radeon™ 4800 Series, delivers a newly optimized video presets that users can select depending on what kind of video content they are viewing.
    * Windows XP support: Edge enhancement, which adjusts the level of sharpness of video content and Noise Reduction, which removes ghosting artifacts while preserving details of the original video. The new slider controls can be found in the All Settings page of the Avivo Video tab found in the Catalyst™ Control Center
    Drivers & Software

Feel free to post your experience :)

strontium

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2005
    UK
    This version works fine with XP sp2 unlike the previous version which gave me a BSOD. Don't see much difference though, will have a bit more of a play over the weekend.

strontium

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2005
    UK
    I had no problems at all just downloaded the driver including CCC (35mb I think), and ran through the install process without any trouble at all.
    Strange I know i had the BSOD problem with 8.7 so reverted back to 8.5.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I was waiting to see this thread.

It's a real shame, now I'm hoping to see what 8.9 will bring us :(

Users who are viewing this thread