DVB and H/W (1 Viewer)

T

TigerWolf

I have looked in the FAQ and done a quick search but cannot find:

What is the difference between DVB and H/W and which will work in Australia?

so the different types are:
H/W
DVB-T
DVB-S
DVB-C
S/W
Whats the differnece?

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
TigerWolf said:
I have looked in the FAQ and done a quick search but cannot find:

What is the difference between DVB and H/W and which will work in Australia?

so the different types are:
H/W
DVB-T
DVB-S
DVB-C
S/W
Whats the differnece?

DVB vs. H/W:
DVB refers to digital TV, where as H/W refers to analog hardware MPEG2 TV cards (e.g. Hauppauge PVR250/350/150MCE). H/W cards contain a MPEG2 chip which alleivates work being done on the computer. They are quite well supported by MP, if they are on the supported list.

DVB-T is digital TV - terristrial. It is the standard that Aust uses for free-to-air digital TV. The most popular cards are the DNTV Live! card, Dvico cards/boxes, Hauppauge Nova-T.

DVB-S is digital TV - satellite, and DVB-C is digital TV - Cable (note: foxtel does not use this standard).

Finally, S/W refers to analog software TV cards (Hauppauge WinTV). These cards are usually the cheapest, but aren't supported very well in MP and require the computer to do a lot of work.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

??? :confused: Please, try with latest MP 1.33, not 1.30 and, all in debug logs to provide...
??? :confused: Please, try with latest MP 1.33, not 1.30 and, all in debug logs to provide...
Hi Running MP1 - 1.39 for long while, no issues. 10th April [same time as 2024-KB5037036 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework...
Replies
Views
So far I needed to limit the media items to respect the token limit of ChatGPT. Now the complete media items can be used, because the movie list is splitted into chunks of a specified size and responses for each chunk are concentrated into the result list :) private async Task<string> GenerateResponseWithGPT(string searchQuery...
So far I needed to limit the media items to respect the token limit of ChatGPT. Now the complete media items can be used, because...
Hi, I'm planning to write a plugin for MediaPortal 2, that supports users to find the right media items with help of AI...
Replies
Views
Good luck, I am really not too sure how well CAM and MP work together with any tuner. Just a thought would it not be cheaper to just buy another C1+ card then there would be no need to prioritise the tuners? BTW the TBS Deutschland website specifically states that C1+ cards are not supported but I think that is a local issue with the...
Good luck, I am really not too sure how well CAM and MP work together with any tuner. Just a thought would it not be cheaper to...
Hi, I have installed the MP2 server ion a Win11 server, for Swedish DVB-T2 channels with CAM/CI+. I have never used MP before, but...
Replies
Views
(egg in face) I had to dnld SD plugin mpe1 to re install. trying again Thnx
(egg in face) I had to dnld SD plugin mpe1 to re install. trying again Thnx
Pre Releases are provided as a way for the community to test and give feedback on all the exciting things we have lined up for the...
Replies
Views
Well I gave in and reinstalled the machine from scratch. All working properly again now, which is good, but a shame I couldn't find out what was actually wrong. Windows updates turned off for now just in case...
Well I gave in and reinstalled the machine from scratch. All working properly again now, which is good, but a shame I couldn't...
I've got a weird problem with my single-seat MP installation. Recently (a few days ago) it stopped being able to receive any...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom